Gutter Siphon

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Just got the back gutter replaced, it rusted out at the "low" spot. Sags in the middle and the water there takes longer to evaporate. After the big rain I thumped it and sure enough it sounded like there was water there. Sure would be nice to "help" that stuff out of there eh? You know w/o having to go on the roof and blow it to the drain. Muhaha!

Half inch PVC pipe, a couple of valves, a T and an elbow.

You close the bottom valve, fill the long pipe up until it comes out the short pipe, shut the top valve, put it in the gutter and open the bottom valve.

There is enough water in the long pipe to start the siphon even with the gutter pipe full of air. And it's so easy and you don't have to "suck the hose"

Gutter water that is no longer in the gutter - :)

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Excellent! Siphons are so simple, but always seem magical. I feed my gas-powered hedge-clipper from my bike's tank with a siphon of medical-tubing.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
How to use a siphon was one of the few actually useful things school taught me.

No! How dare you! ;)

I actually used it when the pump on the old open top washing machine broke, it saved spending money for a year or two on a new machine.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Hehe, thanks! This stuff just comes to me naturally. This one started hi-tech of course, I was thinking of pumping the stuff out somehow with a motor driven suction pump. That was after I discarded the idea of drilling a hole in the gutter and installing a drain with a valve.

It never pays to work too fast. Just think about it some. Sleep on it a bit. And voila, a simple & elegant solution.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
It never pays to work too fast. Just think about it some. Sleep on it a bit. And voila, a simple & elegant solution.
BRAVO! I will oftentimes concentrate on a low-level problem while I lay in bed waiting to go unconscious; I find that I'll usually have an answer in the morning (plus the high-level ones just keep me awake).