Gas tank / Petcock questions

GoldenMotor.com

Spoooooky

May 31, 2013
Holiday, FL
I bought a gas tank awhile ago. The first thing i notice is the bung were the petcock screws into has threads on the outside not the inside like my stock tank.

So my stock petcock and my sick bike parts petcock don't fit it.

Where can I get a petcock that fits this gas tank? (its the 2.5L peanut style)

Would this one work?

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
there should be threads also inside that tank look again I had the same tank and it had threads inside and out! And to answer your question that will work thats the one they send in the kit with that tank!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check with the vendor you bought the tank from first of all.

Externally threaded petcocks have been used for years on motorcycles. You might want to check a local Japanese motorcycle shop if the seller of your tank can't help you.
If you're fortunate enough to have a motorcycle salvage yard in your town you might find one to fit there.
Typically those types of valves (petcocks) have a reserve position with two inlets in the tank.
If all else fails and the bung isn't internally threaded you could run a 1/8" pipe tap into it and use a standard NPT petcock or use a 10mmX1 tap and use a kit petcock with a gasket.

Tom

Last edited:

Spoooooky

May 31, 2013
Holiday, FL
oddly enough there are no threads on the inside. I checked multiple times because it surprised me when they weren't there as it's completely smooth.

So just making sure, that petcock I linked too will screw onto the threads on my tank?

Sorry for making you clarify, I just hate buying stuff and having to pay to ship them back.

Spoooooky

May 31, 2013
Holiday, FL
Check with the vendor you bought the tank from first of all.

Externally threaded petcocks have been used for years on motorcycles. You might want to check a local Japanese motorcycle shop if the seller of your tank can't help you.
If you're fortunate enough to have a motorcycle salvage yard in your town you might find one to fit there.
Typically those types of valves (petcocks) have a reserve position with two inlets in the tank.
If all else fails and the bung isn't internally threaded you could run a 1/8" pipe tap into it and use a standard NPT petcock or use a 10mmX1 tap and use a kit petcock with a gasket.

Tom
Hmm, thanks for the tips. I could borrow my friends tap set so I might give that a try.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
external threaded tanks take the newer petcocks that have a reserve setting

the one in your link looks like it

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The petcock you show will fit the tank you show. This is the newer style tank with the petcock having a reserve position in the kits. The one you posted will fit the newer tanks but does not have the reserve position on the shut-off.
All my recent kit tanks look like that. Better parts in my opinion. Never had any leaks with the new one, unlike the older style.