How to start GRUBEE GT5 Motorized Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Vinoy Thomas

Sep 12, 2012
Brampton,Ontario
Hi,

I just finished assembling my GRUBEE GT5 motor kit onto my bike. Everything seems fine; chain is moving smoothly, wiring looks good, and clutch is working.

Only problem is I don't know how to start it... D: If anyone could help me out here, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Vinoy

:-||

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
if you have the clutch handle, squeeze it, pedal the bike to a decent speed and pop the clutch. I dont own one so this is just from reading other threads.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
yes thats the float if it dosent run right the rattling of it is probibly why it isnt something you should do to a carburetor also dont tun it upside down

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
basic start up goes like this;

turn the fuel petcock to on.

push the little primer button on the carb a couple times.

lift the choke lever on the carb up.

pull in the cluch lever, and pedal to a decent speed.

let go of the lever, twist the thottle and keep pedaling.

hopefully the bike starts. if not, try a few times before giving up.

if the bike starts, ride it a block or so, then carefully reach down and push the choke lever down.

when you pull in the clutch lever again, the bike should coast with the throttle off.

if it idles high, or stalls, adjust the little screw on the carb. in to raise the idle, out to decrease it.

when you come to a stop, pull in the clutch lever. bike should idle.

when starting again, you have to pedal 10 feet or so. the motor doesn't have enough torque to pull you off the line smoothly, so you need to help it.

last step. don't fall off of it...:)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I never pedal more than a few feet with the choke on. Pedaling a whole block with it on would flood my engine to the point I would have to drain the carb before it would start again, maybe even foul my plug. I actually dont choke my engine very often at all. I did use the choke to kill the engine, before I installed my new killswitch, but that was about it.

Vinoy Thomas

Sep 12, 2012
Brampton,Ontario
Thanks everyone,

I did everything that I needed to do.

After I reach a decent speed; I release the clutch and ignition follows soon after, but after a few seconds the engine gives and comes to a halt.

Also, I did twist the throttle as Bairdco said. Choke, fuel line, wires all seem fine.

Thanks, Vinoy

Vinoy Thomas

Sep 12, 2012
Brampton,Ontario
Hi Bairdco,

I followed your instructions; petcock is on, wires are taped and secured correctly. Now i am stumped on what to do next as my engine still does not ignite.

After maybe 6-10 tries it MIGHT turn on otherwise, I pedal back home :(

So if you have an idea what I might have done wrong that would be great.

Thanks, Vinoy

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sometimes you have to work the choke. I had a couple that would fire right off with full choke, then I had to go to around half choke and half throttle.

Experiment a little.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
go through the basics. fuel and spark.

if you're sure you're getting fuel, check the spark.

pull the plug out and make sure it's not oil-fouled from trying to start it. if it is, clean it off with carb cleaner or fresh gas.

then wedge the plug next to the head bolt or some other metal (not aluminum) part on the bike and push it through a few compression strokes and look for a little spark.

Vinoy Thomas

Sep 12, 2012
Brampton,Ontario
Hi Bairdco,

Are you talking about the thing that sticks out from the head of the motor or the black plug connected to the CDI.

Sorry I still dont know all the parts.

Also, am I supposed to take of the brass thing on top of the thing that sticks out of the motor, I screwed it off. I read that Wei am supposed to do that.

Thanks, Vinoy

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
ok. the thing that sticks out of the top is the spark plug. the black plug wire snaps on to that and then goes into the cdi.

the black cap needs to fit tight onto the plug. spark plugs usually have a silver nipple on top when you buy them. on the engine kits, those are usually removed already and there's a little threaded rod sticking up.

the plug wire has the black plastic boot on the end, and inside is a brass fitting with a little wire clip. you push that down onto the plug and it snaps on. it'll wiggle around a bit, but it has to br snapped on there and not just flop off.

assuming all that is good...

unscrew the spark plug out of the head (top of motor.) make sure it's not covered in oil. if it is, you need to clean all that off till the plug is dry. carb cleaner, gasoline, or alcohol will work. an "oil fouled" plug won't make a spark.

if it is fouled, that could be your problem. you're probably running too much oil in the gas. directions say 16:1, but 24:1 is better.

if the plug is dry, snap it into the boot and stick the tip next to something metal and push the bike without squeezing the clutch lever so the engine will move.

you should see a spark coming off the tip. probably don't want to hold onto the plug while you're doing this. if it sparks, it'll kill you.

just kidding.

but it's enough of a shock to freak you out and yell at stuff.

if you do have spark, put it all back together and try to pedal start it some more.

Vinoy Thomas

Sep 12, 2012
Brampton,Ontario
Hi Bairdco,

Thanks for helping me out with this, really appreciated :)

I will try this newly discovered knowledge tomorrow, and hopefully it'll all work out.

Once again thanks for all the help, and goodnight!!!

Thanks, Vinoy