Noob attempts a Felt MP build: Have mercy on me.

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I got about 80 miles or so on the Huasheng and it has not let me down once. Took Ballona Creek Bike Path to Marina Del Rey and got the Major Stink Eye from the Spandex Bicycle Club for interrupting their sunday Tour De Ballona. They tried to take my plate # down on my bicycle but I didn't have a plate. LMAO

One older teen on bike, coming at me in the opposite direction, saw and heard me coming at him at speed and let out an expletive and stopped his bike when he saw me. He wasn't wearing a helmet and I think he thought I was the Bike Police. I didn't even slow down a bit or look in my mirror.

I haven't had to use my horn once which is kind of shocking.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
lol scaring the local spandexers and solo motorized bicycle riders? Just smile and wave! Solo motorized bicycle riders can become riding buddies, but spandexers should only be smoked and ridiculed for going so slow on their $10K bikes, heh heh :p

Great looking bike man, sweet toys on board for sure. Keep up the great work!

Have fun, ride safe.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
lol scaring the local spandexers and solo motorized bicycle riders? Just smile and wave! Solo motorized bicycle riders can become riding buddies, but spandexers should only be smoked and ridiculed for going so slow on their $10K bikes, heh heh :p

Great looking bike man, sweet toys on board for sure. Keep up the great work!

Have fun, ride safe.
Thanks man. The huge headlight and the sound of a motor really confuses bicyclists when I'm coming head on at them on a two way bike path. I'm always fake pedaling to show people that I'm on a bicycle just like they are. I am pedaling backwards most of the time but I'm still pedaling.

I'm trying to drive the wheels off this thing to see what it can and can't do. I wish it made less noise at speed so I could be stealthier on bike paths cause I'm the only one making any noise. I do left off the throttle and just pedal when I have to though. I'm just glad it doesn't sound like a chainsaw. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Bike looks real good. Is that a steel frame?
It doesn't look like it in the pics but I've beat that bike to death in the Ballona Creek Bike Path full throttle, back and forth and back, and all that's happened to it is the bike lock on the rear cargo rack went flying off it and the fender screws came unscrewed to the point off falling off. I've tried everything I could to blow the engine, short of running it without any oil in it and trying to destroy the Q-Matic on Angeles Vista streets. And it just keeps on going.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have a small request, can you not ride that bike on the bike path anymore. You will bring a red light to the rest of us that ride in the same L.A. Area. It's posted no motor vehicles on the bike path so please respect the bike riders. Thanks...

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I have a small request, can you not ride that bike on the bike path anymore. You will bring a red light to the rest of us that ride in the same L.A. Area. It's posted no motor vehicles on the bike path so please respect the bike riders. Thanks...
Too late for that. I already saw guys with pocket bikes, motorized scooters, and motorized skateboards riding on that path. I think that sign is referring to motorcycles and scooters maybe? I think that path is a little low on police priorities I'm guessing? LOL

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
You are representing the mb crowd, I think you should respect that. We have plenty of areas to ride that bike wide open and one of my favorite is down Jefferson past playa vista or around the undeveloped area of plays vista. I am asking nicely.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You are representing the mb crowd, I think you should respect that. We have plenty of areas to ride that bike wide open and one of my favorite is down Jefferson past playa vista or around the undeveloped area of plays vista. I am asking nicely.
I'm already one step ahead of you cause my bike is slightly less noisy than a Harley right now and that bike path is usually dead silent except for me.

My back wheel is getting an electric hub motor installed on it along with the gas engine it already has. When I ride on bike only paths the gas engine will be off and powered only by electricity. When I hit the streets the gas engine will be fired up and used to recharge the battery pack to the electric motor. Silence is Golden. dance1

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You're really gonna hate it when I tell you I pedal that bike on the Venice Beach Bike Path to the Santa Monica Pier and back, past a bunch of cops and they just stare at my bike and let me keep pedaling. I don't know how far I would get if I ignited that motor though. I'm guessing not too far. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Crystalyte H3540 rear hub motor is on it's way. If this works out I should be able to at least pull away from cars at a stop light and climb hills without pedaling for dear life. Regen braking will also add the extra braking that I'm missing coming down a hill.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow Mike, uber cool build.

Riding around Hartford, I always think about having some extra "off the line" booster to get up to speed as some one is beeping their horn a nano second after the light turns green. Belt drive gear reduction is smooth but not great at get-up an' go.

Looking forward to hearing how well your set up works out.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Wow Mike, uber cool build.

Riding around Hartford, I always think about having some extra "off the line" booster to get up to speed as some one is beeping their horn a nano second after the light turns green. Belt drive gear reduction is smooth but not great at get-up an' go.

Looking forward to hearing how well your set up works out.
I haven't gotten the horn treatment yet but I'm sure my time is coming out here. Electric hubs appear to have the torque that the 49cc is missing and all I need them for is at a light or on a hill cause I'm not gonna be carrying a huge battery supply. If my gas engine can haul me around on flat terrain and recharge the battery pack at the same time then I think I'll have accomplished something..... maybe. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
heh heh, if your batt gets low on a long trip your can trigger the regen and gun the engine for a mile or two instead of finding a plug eh? :p
That is exactly my plan. You read my mind.

Also I can take the bike, without ever having to pedal, in electric stealth mode, where I could never take it with that gas engine running. I never thought a 49cc could sound like a chopper, but it does. It's that free flow exhaust I just installed. I got Harley riders doing a double take at me when we're on the road together. LMAO

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
How about a front Dynamo hub too maybe. Once rectified and whatnot properly, it should trickle charge too. Just another thought.

The drive hub will be a nice back up for when(not if) you run out of gas too, heh heh.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
How about a front Dynamo hub too maybe. Once rectified and whatnot properly, it should trickle charge too. Just another thought.

The drive hub will be a nice back up for when(not if) you run out of gas too, heh heh.
When the electricity is cut to the hub motor and the gas engine is on and spinning that electric hub, it produces tons of GLORIOUS WATTS that go back to the battery pack. All I want to know is how much drag the e-hub will have on the gas engine. I might have to gear down the rear sprocket to get some added torque.