Pillow Block Bearings Won't Spin

GoldenMotor.com

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Hello,
I got two of these for a jackshaft, but upon recieving them, the bearing inside of them does not actually spin. I put a 5/8 jackshaft into it, and the shaft just slid in the ID of the pillow block bearing without actually spinning it. Using my fingers, I cannot get the bearing to even budge. I am quite confused, does this not come with a bearing? Is this just the housing that holds a bearing? hmm...

http://www.amazon.com/Spyraflo-PB3-...O8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1336195336&sr=8-16

Thanks

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
There oil lite bearing they don't spin , the shaft spins on it . Also call sintered bronze bearing or bushing . Dan

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

this is a pillowblock BEARING

what you have is a bushing no MOVEABLE parts in it just a brass sleeve

talk about a misleading ad...
if you see the term ""Oil Impregnated Bronze"" it uses oil as a method to prevent the bushing siezing to the shaft and not a actual bearing

Last edited:

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
It's complete , there are used for low speed application . Will not last long on a jack shaft with a key way . Dan

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I wouldn't be too quick to return them, if the price was right...
Cost of mailing back will be lost to you.

Perhaps you could use them in the future for some other application???
...like maybe to support a pedal shaft, and use a quill bearing upon it and 2nd primary drive pulley with a sprocket on the inside of it to the secondary drive going to rear sprocket???
just sayin....
rc

Attachments

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
a similar setup was used on squirrel cage fans in home furnace fans.very common,usually lasted the life of the furnace if lubricated regularily.
a hardened shaft,stops to keep shaft from moving in and out and you may get some miles out of them.road grime will cause premature failure,though.

the pillow block bearings above are more suited to your application,and have set screws or eccentric locking collars to keep shaft in place.