rubber to insalate motor

GoldenMotor.com

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I was at a hardware store and found some rubber tape that is used to seal water leaks. it seals to itself, and is perfect to wrap around the down tube and tube where the gas tank sets. it makes a very professorial looking install and protects the bikes paint, isolates the motor for less vibration.
Again this is an idea that you can use or just leave, just thought it would help others. .flg.

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I have seen different people putting inter tubes between the motor and frame to isolate the vibration from the frame? looks shabby way of doing it. the tape is very neat way and looks good too.
Will this cause a problem electrically, if so why can't you just make the motor the ground as in cars. Otherwise what is the other reason's not to do this, I would think it would keep bolts and such less pron to loosen. haven't mounted the engine yet, going to replace the studs as you said with grade 5.
I saw you have a kit for this for $9.00 would like to order it. laff

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I third what has been said so far......solid mounting to the frame is the way to go, if your engine is able to move you will brake mounting studs in a short amount of time, many of us made that mistake in the beginning, I know I did the little 6mm hardware can't take any movement.

Peace, Map

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Yes I read the post on rubber mounts and see what you are talking about. I would think that with rubber tape only 1/32 thick and fused to the frame and motor mount, would not allow for any movement at all, unlike thicker mount types, IE: rubber bike tubes, sheets of rubber, or skate board mounts that allow movement of the motor to frame.
this tape is used to seal water leaks in pipes under pressure and has to seal to the pipe and itself the outside of the tape will also seal to whatever is put onto it. :-||
If I do try it I will make sure the motor will not move and check when the motor is running under load as well, if the motor moves I then will remove it and put motor to frame. It would be nice to emanate as much vibration as possible.

Last edited:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I have seen different people putting inter tubes between the motor and frame to isolate the vibration from the frame? looks shabby way of doing it. the tape is very neat way and looks good too.
Will this cause a problem electrically, if so why can't you just make the motor the ground as in cars. Otherwise what is the other reason's not to do this, I would think it would keep bolts and such less pron to loosen. Haven't mounted the engine yet and want to do right. Going to replace the studs as you said with grade 5.
I saw you have a kit for this for $9.00 would like to order it. laff
The motor is already grounded. That is how the spark plug sparks.

Personally I have rubber between my mounts.. Has worked out great for me. Using stock studs too. Maybe it's the type of rubber I used.. but I'd follow the advice of the members here. More often than not you'll have issues using rubber between the mounts. Oscillations will snap studs. If you put stronger studs in, it will snap the motor where they screw into it.

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Yes I now agree with you on this, after some thought on it, no matter if the rubber is fused or not the rubber will flex and move around under load.
So I and dumping the idea, might be OK for the gas tank, just have to see. dance1

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Yes I now agree with you on this, after some thought on it, no matter if the rubber is fused or not the rubber will flex and move around under load.
So I and dumping the idea, might be OK for the gas tank, just have to see. dance1
No problem with the gas tank. I have rubber straps (like you see holding tarps on semi's). I have two strips (length of tank) glued to the bottom of my tank. The crossbar cradles the straps and the gas tank won't move as much as before I did it.

Send me a PM when you can.

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
After some more thought about it, I am the type that, I don't go by theory, which is just that, not real world or what has been done before that has not worked.
especially when told something will not work. I will try to find a solution to make it work.
What I have seen on this site on what has been tried, rubber inter tubes, sheets of rubber etc. I can see why it has not worked, the motor will torque up and down under load, and with the things that have been tried I can see why the bolts broke. especially when bump starting.
First you need a rubber that is thin enough and stiff enough that will have very little movement but will dampen the vibration. further wrapping the down tube is not the way to do it, the mounts themselves need to have the rubber applied to them. the rubber also need's to adhere to the mounts and when tightened ad-hear to the frame, in this way the motor will not move enough to cause a problem. further you could if needed pin the mounts to frame, only if there is no other way, and if you make the hole in the frame small and use a punch to turn the metal over and down, then the frame tube will not split out.
So with that said this is the way I will install the motor on my bike, and after riding it for a while, and no problems I will get back to this site and let you know how I did. :-||

A thought in time

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Good luck to ya,hope it works out as you have described.

Map

After some more thought about it, I am the type that, I don't go by theory, which is just that, not real world or what has been done before that has not worked.
especially when told something will not work. I will try to find a solution to make it work.
What I have seen on this site on what has been tried, rubber inter tubes, sheets of rubber etc. I can see why it has not worked, the motor will torque up and down under load, and with the things that have been tried I can see why the bolts broke. especially when bump starting.
First you need a rubber that is thin enough and stiff enough that will have very little movement but will dampen the vibration. further wrapping the down tube is not the way to do it, the mounts themselves need to have the rubber applied to them. the rubber also need's to adhere to the mounts and when tightened ad-hear to the frame, in this way the motor will not move enough to cause a problem. further you could if needed pin the mounts to frame, only if there is no other way, and if you make the hole in the frame small and use a punch to turn the metal over and down, then the frame tube will not split out.
So with that said this is the way I will install the motor on my bike, and after riding it for a while, and no problems I will get back to this site and let you know how I did. :-||

A thought in time

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I have made one change, I will after all wrap the down tubes, but it is imporent to make sure the layer is thin and smoth so the mounts will tighten even, so not to loosen. usflg

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Good luck with it and please let us know how it works out. Some of the brightest inventors responsible for alot of the luxuries we have today were called fools and were constantly told "It will never work".
No harm in trying if you are willing and able to take the risk, eh?

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I do listen to what others have done and there mistakes, but also look to remedy them as well. I have built a lot of cars both street and modified, as well as motorcycles, this is how the winners win races, not stopping because someone said they tried that and it did not work. But trying it in a different way so it will work to there advantage.

The only fools are the ones that can't take someone fixing something they could not, then calling them names to make to make up for there loss of pride.

As before ideas are the way to invent, without them nothing would get fixed or invented, bully's that put them down are the roadblocks to the future.

I thought that was what this site was all about, sharing ideas, maybe I was wrong and it is just for people who think they know it all to boost about it and put down anyone that they think is a challenge to them.

I am 70 years old and have worked as a mechanic, machinist, in electronics, and a lot of other trades in my life time, amassing years of knowledge to share.

But maybe that's not wanted on this site.

Motor bikes is nothing new to me I have owned whizzer bikes before, the last one a sportsmen, back when a lot of people were still trying to walk. and before I owned a car, Harley's as well.

This type of bike with a kit is not new only where the parts are coming from.

I don't mean to insulted any one on this site, but on the other hand I don't take kindly to being insulted ether. .trk

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Wow,I hope I was not one that insulted you. I was trying to encourage you to try it out anyways, regardless of what others had to say.
I'm sorry if it sounded negative!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Wow...!

I've gone back over all the post here and I don't see a single insult in any of them, all I see is people trying to be helpful and just give advise based on their personal experiences with mounting these engines on the bike frames, seems to me that the people who have just been trying to help someone avoid a headache are the ones being insulted with that accusation.

I'll say once again I do wish you the best of luck Donbia, but at the same time I'll also say that if the rubber or whatever is used is super thin between the engine and the frame that it's almost like there's nothing there, then it's very likely that's the results you will have as far as dampening any vibrations, it will be as if there is nothing there.

And by the way as long as I've been on here discussing things back and firth with the guys who have replied to this thread, I can tell you that none us them are fools........and you sir are being the foolish one with the rant against their experience and the fact that we were all just trying to give what we have found to be good advise based on that experience, we ain't all a bunch of never done nothings on here and many have the same background you claim and more.

We have opposing opinions on things here many times, but calling people fools because you think you can do what they weren't able too do reliably for the most part is ridiculous, how about instead of calling people names you just prove your point, mount it up and post the pics and actual results after a few hundred or a couple thousand miles, if you can do that then I'm sure many of us would want to congratulate you on your newly discovered remedy for the vibes many don't think much of with some of these engines.

Yes this forum is about people helping people to solve problem with there builds and share ideas, seems you are already '' boosting ''about something you have not proven to even work, and calling others foolish that have tried the thing you mentioned and they had failures.

I apologize for my rant here, and I know none of the other men here need someone going to there rescue and defending them, but this really struck a cord with me.

Donbia, I do hope you discover a very good useful way to tame the vibes while still bolting the engine directly to the bike frame, if you do I'm sure you'll get some praise for it.

Peace, Map (^)

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Gear nut, not in any way you have been helpful as have been others, mapbike I am sorry to say did insult me in his ranting and such, and I believe there is no place for those type of replies, and should not happen, people need to think about what they are going to say first, then what another day if they are upset to think on it. That also apples to quoits to other people on the sly.
I know my ideas may not set right with people some times, but a what and see attitude should prevail. After all the comments have been said, it is my bike and motor and it is not costing anybody but me. I did listen to all advise but in the end it is my choice and no one else's, that why we live in this country
I have been looking into another insulator one used for shock mounting which is hard and not very flexible, but would have to be glued to the frame down tube to eliminate any movement. The mount has lips on both ends to stop any movement up or down. which is the main cause of breakage, the up and down movement of the engine on torque applications, further is is thick enough to dampen vibration. Also any materiel between the engine and frame would to some extent eliminate vibration other than metal to metal contact. IE exhaust to frame.
Cars use rubber washers between the frame and body for this reason. dance1

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Agree to disagree or move on to another thread. I don't want to see anymore mud slinging in this discussion. Discuss, don't argue. The facts and views on both sides have been presented. Let's put it to rest until or if, any results are reported.
Tom