large framed recommendations ???

GoldenMotor.com

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
large framed cruiser recommendations ???

I am looking for a large framed cuiser for a customer that is 6'3" and 240lbs,,,he isn't comfortable on a stretch (he had a hip replaced)

any suggestions ???

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Re: large framed cruiser recommendations ???

I am looking for a large framed cuiser for a customer that is 6'3" and 240lbs,,,he isn't comfortable on a stretch (he had a hip replaced)

any suggestions ???
-

3G .......Isla Vista.......big ass frame ....."King Norm of Venice" built one up .....incredible .....

Salty.shft.

Attachments

Last edited:

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I'm roughly the same size (6'5" 240lbs) and have a Onyx Cruiser (in fact, that's my bike in the photo oscully posted). Here's my feedback on the bike: Initial impression was that here was a bike that finally fit a big guy, but after riding it I found that the geometry wasn't really intended for a big guy after all. The seat to handlebar length is a bit short and the seat felt like it was too far forward to the pedals. The seat post can be extended pretty high, but I'd like another inch or two to make it really comfortable. I plan on adding a layback post and might shorten the handlebars a bit to fix the fit issues. The gearing is really high, which makes pedaling from a stop a bit challenging sometimes. The hand brakes in the photo were added by me, pretty straight forward except the handlebar tube is 1" in diameter. I spent a couple weeks looking at different ways to motorize it and decided to go with a Staton friction drive. Took a bit of tweaking to get it to mount just right, but overall way easier than an in frame install. I've decided to go electric, so the friction drive is for sale. Overall, it's a good bike for the price but may need some tweaking to get it to fit a taller person properly.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
My other concern with a 29er for big people such as myself 250lbs+, is that a 44t sprocket has a hard enough time pulling hills on a 26 inch tire, the 29er would make pedal assist a requirement on many inclines with a 44t or lower.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
thanks kahuna :)
I had considered the onyx, but the triangle looked tight for a 4stroke,
your comments just re-inforced my thoughts ;)
Bill,

There is more than enough room in the Onyx frame for a 4-stroke. I went and looked at one several weeks ago and took my trusty 4-stroke fit cardboard and it fits with room to spare. The bike is Huge. You could very possibly fit one of the HF 6.5 HP Clone motors in the bike. The challenges come from the lack of good brakes, the 48 spoke wheels and the Diameter (almost 2 inches) of the S-bend Down Tube. As for the fit issues that Kahuna ran into, those exist with any bike no matter what size you are or the bike is. I still say its a good place to start, for the Tall Rider.

ocscully

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Oscully's right, the space in the triangle is more than sufficient for a 4 stroke, in fact someone else already did a build with one (see photo, not my build and my apologies to the builder I've forgotten its source). He's also nailed most of the issues you'll encounter for a build. The other issues are that the frame is aluminum (which can be more susceptible to vibration damage if the motor is not properly mounted), the handlebar is an odd 1" diameter, the chain guard/fenders have very weak mounts and vibrate easily, and the seat has no springs. All (fairly) easily over come. My comments in my earlier post were more related to how the bike fits a tall / big person. My point was that although it is a big bike, the frames seating dimensions was scaled for an average person. But those issues can be resolved IMO. As for the comment regarding using a 44 tooth sprocket, with the 29er wheel, you'd likely want a bigger sprocket like a 50+ tooth. Add up the costs / time for all these fixes and you'll start to see why I went with a friction drive. ;) I don't have a link handy, but look for my Genisis Onyx build thread for more photos and info.

I also considered the Firmstrong Chief, which (on paper at least) looks to be an even better candidate for the tall rider than the Onyx: the frame is made of steel, tube diameters are smaller, wheels are 26" and 36 spokes, seating dimensions are scaled more for a tall rider. If there was a Chief locally for me to try I might have gone with that instead. Unfortunately there wasn't and Walmart has a 90 day, no cost to me, return policy (returning the Chief would have been an expensive proposition).

Attachments

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
scully and kahuna,,,
thanks a lot for that info :)
the pic with the HS engine helped a lot as well ;)

I think I will be avoiding the onyx because of the wheels/down tube diameter
I really appreciate all the advice guys (^)

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Not reflecting on comments already posted on this thread but more overall. I've seen where I think sometimes wheel size and frame size get confused. 29ers are not necessarily bigger bikes. I built a Diamondback Edgewood for my wife with 700c wheels (same diameter as 29er wheels) with a 15" frame. It rolls nice and fits her at 5'2". That model Diamondback comes in 2" frame increments from 15' up to 21" which is what I would want.

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
I just put a HT 2 stroke in a onyx29 last week. I like it alot. Plenty of room for an in frame kit. I had to use 6 of the 9 rear sprocket bolts due to the 48 spoked rims. I had to cut off the ends of the handlebars and reweld ends on from a regular set I had because the throttle and clutch handles are made for a smaller diameter tube. I had to extend the studs on the fuel tank also. The larger diameter tube didnt allow the studs to extend far enough for the brackets. My seat did come with springs in it. I've put over 70 miles on it this week and really like it.

Last edited: