Handlebar grip / throttle questions

GoldenMotor.com

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I'm thinking about shortening the handlebars on my cruiser. They are 1" in diameter everywhere except for where the grips are. If I shorten the handlebar, it will become essentially a 1" diameter handlebar. Will the standard twist throttle controls fit a 1" diameter handlebar? Is a 1" diameter unusual for a bicycle handlebar? I've done a bit of searching and it seems most are around 7/8".

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah they sound a bit weird- most bars are 7/8" and then some have a 1 inch knarl at the center to fit a 1 inch stem-

if you cut off the 7/8" part toleave only 1 inch you will probably have trouble with the throttle and other grip- they are made for7/8- although the one rubber grip around the plastic throttle sleeve is actually 1 inch

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
While googling it looks like motorcycles have 1" diameter handlebars, at least it appears that some do.

Any idea what diameter BMX handlebars normally are?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
BMX bars- at least the old school alloy ones I like to use are usually 7/'8 all the way through, with no larger gnarl- and they fit stems that are 7/8" both at the bar and in the steer tube. And so they require a shim to fit the 1 inch steer tube -I use cut up can aluminum.

Attachments

Last edited:

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
Jayson yes you can change the stock grip throttle . you can take it apart and with air pressure in the end pop it off

Last edited:

jayson

Dec 16, 2011
Chicago
Thanx I got a 50's jc higgins with springer fork. Im am
New to this but im trying to build somethin classic and I want
Leather vintage style grips thats why
I was wondering if I could pop that plastic grip off and slide
A leather grip onto the sleeve. Thanx

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Can I change the grips on the standard throttle?
Absolutely! I replace both grips on EVERY build.
I absolutely CAN NOT STAND those hard plastic kit grips!
A box cutter or other razor blade knife works great, just slit it all way down, pop it off, and throw it in trash.
After saving 6 left side ones I throw the new ones in the trash too!

I replace them all with those BMX Form grips.
They come in a tall package usually with 4 long tubes, or two long ones and a matching pair of tapered short ones.
I get enough for 3 bikes minimum in any package for like $8-$10 at the bike store.

To put the new foam one over the throttle barrel soak the foam grip in some warm water, put a couple of drops of dish soap on the throttles plastic barrel, stand it up on the ground and 'massage' the foam grip down over it with both hands.
Leave ~1/4" free to the cable holder at the end of the plastic throttle grip so the cover/holder fit back on.

One other tip is put just a light coat of grease on your right handlebar and on both sides of the cable holder part before you slide the throttle barrel on and spin it around some for an even coat.
The goal here is a throttle that snaps right back to off when you let go of it when it's open to any speed.

That won't fix your oversized handlebar problem, but it certainly might help someone else looking at this 'Handlebar grip / throttle questions' topic ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks for the tips, im tryn to use vintage
style leather grips not foam will they work?
It dpends on the grip of course but ya, the 2 bikes I built including my own that came with stitched leather grips work fine, you have to really soften up the throttle one and maybe even loosen the stitching, but they worked great and even better than the foam ones as far as style and comfort.

This is my Giant Suede's grips.

Just for giggles and grins, this my bikes throttle grip showing how the Dual-Pull teeter-totter brake handle works with 2 different kinds of brakes requiring different pull lengths to work right.

As you pull the lever it takes out all the slack in both cables first and then starts applying even force to both, I love 'em ;-}

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Absolutely! I replace both grips on EVERY build.
I absolutely CAN NOT STAND those hard plastic kit grips!
A box cutter or other razor blade knife works great, just slit it all way down, pop it off, and throw it in trash.
After saving 6 left side ones I throw the new ones in the trash too!

I replace them all with those BMX Form grips.
They come in a tall package usually with 4 long tubes, or two long ones and a matching pair of tapered short ones.
I get enough for 3 bikes minimum in any package for like $8-$10 at the bike store.

To put the new foam one over the throttle barrel soak the foam grip in some warm water, put a couple of drops of dish soap on the throttles plastic barrel, stand it up on the ground and 'massage' the foam grip down over it with both hands.
Leave ~1/4" free to the cable holder at the end of the plastic throttle grip so the cover/holder fit back on.

One other tip is put just a light coat of grease on your right handlebar and on both sides of the cable holder part before you slide the throttle barrel on and spin it around some for an even coat.
The goal here is a throttle that snaps right back to off when you let go of it when it's open to any speed.

That won't fix your oversized handlebar problem, but it certainly might help someone else looking at this 'Handlebar grip / throttle questions' topic ;-}
I was replacing one of the grips on my bike. I was messing with the one that came on the bike and screwed it up. I tried water and soap. If it was working it was so slow that I couldn't detect the progress. So I got another grip and applied a little Mitchum antiperspirant gel inside the new grip and it slid right on. No massaging or anything. That stuff must be really slick and lubricating.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
...yeah buddy, thanks for sharin'.

peace, bozo

i like your bikes btw, if i lived anywhere near Phoenix i'd steer people in your direction.

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
When out riding on my 66cc I'll be going along at a gentle slow speed then a ghost takes over and the throttle turns all by its self speeding up and I have to twist it back hard to make it not do so . I hope there is a mechanical fix for this not sure if I can find a priest to pray over my bike to get rid of the ghost .

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Look at the cable for spots at which it might be binding - could be that the gas tank is vibrating enough to tilt it a bit which is pulling your cable up.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Man, old topic.
Unless a bike has grips like the leather ones all my builds get BMX foam grips like these.

That is enough to do 3 bikes for $12 at my local bike shop.

There is a trick to doing the throttle with them:

1. Get the white throttle barrel with the crap hard plastic grip out of the throttle body and cut the grip off, a box cutter works great.

2. Cut your BMX grip to the length of the throttle barrel and stick it in some warm soapy water.

3. Put the throttle barrel vertically on the floor and with a dry wash rag milk the foam grip down on to the barrel with both hands, one hand pulling from the front, the other pushing from the back.

4. With a Q-tip put a light smear of light grease in the throttle housing where the plastic cable stay of the the throttle barrel will rub against it and a nice coating on the handlebar where it will turn.

Bottom line is, when you let go of the throttle it should snap back instantly to no throttle every time, if not then in this shop anyway it still needs work.

When out riding on my 66cc I'll be going along at a gentle slow speed then a ghost takes over and the throttle turns all by its self speeding up and I have to twist it back hard to make it not do so.
That could just be poor fuel flow as when your gas/air mix get leaner like when you turn your gas off while it is idling it revs up before it dies but not likely.

I suggest you just undue any throttle zip ties so your cable is flopping around loose and check all the adjustment points as if your cable is too slack the end of the outer casing can catch on the outside of the adjuster fittings on either end and keep it engaged.
NOTE: Never put your throttle cable under the gas tank mount plates!

There should be just a tiny bit of slack in the cable with the throttle off so the idle adjustment has the final say of throttle.

If your throttle does not snap back when released read the above, when it does check it as you zip tie the cables back in place.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
KC,
Next time you put one of those grips on, instead of doing the water, etc; just spray some cheap hair spray onto the white part, then just sliiidddeee the grip into place. Then the hairspray drys and locks it in place!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
KC,
Next time you put one of those grips on, instead of doing the water, etc; just spray some cheap hair spray onto the white part, then just sliiidddeee the grip into place. Then the hairspray drys and locks it in place!
Yep, good tip, anything that slides then dries works great.
You have to take the throttle assembly apart to fit the stay in drilled hole in the handlebars anyway so I do it all then.

No hair spray here but I'll bet my son has some hair jell, maybe I'll try that on the next build ;-}

Last edited: