Plug Picture...Lean or Rich?

GoldenMotor.com

WaterDog

Sep 12, 2010
Miami / Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Put in a brand new Champion plug gapped at .30. Took it out for 15 minutes, half at medium speed and half at open throttle. I am still breaking in the bike and have maybe 75 miles on it. I am using synthetic oil at 25:1. Does the plug look bad after just 15 minutes, or should I just chill until the break in period is over. Runs and idles great, but does seem to choke out at little over 90% of throttle. Thanks guys!!

Attachments

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Im new but to me that looks lean , i was under the assumption that a light chocolate tan was the color that your shooting for ...

Dont take my word tho , wait for others to chime in!

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
“Plug Chop Plug Chop Plug Chop” I cry!
“Until you learn to feel me,
You’ll have to do it by eye.”

When it's dirty and black, it's got the ****s,
You have too much gas you are running rich.

When its hot and white, but looks pretty clean,
You're 'bout to blow your **** up; you're running lean.
Nice way of remembering it according to that site.

Slowrollers

Sep 8, 2010
downers grove Il
Check for airleaks with carb cleaner....Spray it around the intake and carb first.if the motor revs high or dies BINGO! If not start checking the base gasket & head gasket.... If Not there then go spraying on the case halfs......

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Something I've found that's a little more paint friendly then carb cleaner to check for air leaks is glass cleaner (spray bottle on the stream setting), it works just as well and instead of eating the paint on your engine you clean it. :D

Slowrollers

Sep 8, 2010
downers grove Il
Something I've found that's a little more paint friendly then carb cleaner to check for air leaks is glass cleaner (spray bottle on the stream setting), it works just as well and instead of eating the paint on your engine you clean it. :D

Ive also used keyboard duster(Dustoff) it works but not as well as carb cleaner......I have two black painted motors and carb cleaner has never harmed them.....

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i agree with Jim above. 15 minutes on a new plug isn't enough time to get an accurate reading. try riding it for a few hours at least, vary the throttle, and do a "plug chop" as suggested so you don't just dump raw fuel on it when you shut it off.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If you pull the plug w/ the motor hot will the threads come out ?.
and on the lighter side,if you check the plug this way every 5 miles wont that be cost prohibitive?

lol

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
For only 15 minutes running it looks fine, but I completely agree with Jim and Bairdco that this isn't long enough of a run to get a good reading.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Okay about 12 minutes to do 2 runs and change the jet...

1st photo is the first run about 700-800'

2nd photo 2nd run Changed to a bigger jet to richen it, and again about 700-800'

Of course I did not add the time to warm the motor up.

You can clearly see what a difference the jet made in such a short run, so I dont know?

Attachments

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
First plug looks perfect, how about you just leave it running with that jet for a while and see what happens?...these little engines are working their guts out (like a chain saw engine), so you might not have to wait as long to get a decent reading. Second plug is definitely running rich if it got sooty that soon.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you may be right, Dave. i was thinking with a newer engine and a rich oil mixture, it'd take a little longer than 15 minutes before it got all gunked up and turned black.

on a tuned engine, a coupla blasts up and down the street would probably be enough to see what's up.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
SBP had said about the same thing in there pipe instructions as Dave did. That's about the way I always did it.