Surprise in my oil change...

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It goes like this...I was giving my Huasheng 49cc motor it's third oil change yesterday and when I finally pulled the drain plug (that I have attached a powerful magnet to), out comes a snapped off splash fork or tang if you will.

What I'm wondering here is whether or not I should be concerned about replacing the little piece of steel, or just keep running as is. To replace it means splitting the case of course, and that's a small PITA if not neccesary.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go ahead and split the case if the motor is out of warranty. Check your rod cap on the crank for loose bolts and the oil slinger wheel. It can get damaged by the broken tang floating around in there. If this is a dax motor you need to call Duane, especially if the warranty is still in effect. If the warranty is out he has replacement parts. Is this a Super Titan motor? There was a change in rods; the new ones have an oil groove where some of the earlier ones did not and that resulted in some rod failures that usually resulted in the slinger getting knocked off. It attaches to the rod cap, under the bolt heads.

Tom

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Tom, thanks for the info. It's a Huasheng 142-F that I purchased in March of this year, so it should still be under warranty. I've got approximately 1,000miles on it and it's running great. It's hard to say when the tang snapped off as I put the magnet on the oil drain plug after the previous oil change (#2). It still cruises at 30mph easily and does not overheat. Does that little oil slinger "really" make a significant difference in engine longivity and or performance...I know it's there for a reason, I just didn't engineer this tiny Honda knock-off. Please shed some more light, thanks.:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The tang is there to assist in lubrication of the bottom end. The plastic gear is sort of an oil pump that spins and forces oil up to the rocker arms. You'd be surprised how effecient it is too. Try running the engine with the valve cover off and you'll see just how much oil it moves. The tang isn't as critical but under extreme conditions you could starve the crank and rod of needed lube. You say you have over 1000 miles on the motor but you don't know when the tang broke off. I'd replace it if I were you and that will give you a chance to inspect that rod cap for wear, just in case. When reassembling use blue lable LocTite and be sure to put the rod cap back on the way it came off. Look closely and you'll see alignment marks that should me matched up on the rod and cap.
Tom

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks again Tom, that's all good sound advice....and I use Loctite on everything, always. Yeah the tang could have been in there from day one from the factory, really no way of knowing. When I pulled the drain plug, after siphoning out most of the oil from the filler hole, the tang pulled out stuck to the now magnetic plug...surprise! I did a little extra on the oil refill by two inches of lift to the back tire, figured a bit more oil won't hurt till I tear it down. Thanks again man,

Scott