Ohio Bike Laws? Please Help!

GoldenMotor.com

mojoman288

Apr 26, 2010
Toledo, OH
Im buying a kit tommorow, Would it be legal for me to ride a 2 stroke 48cc motor on a bicycle? Only around the neighborhood? I live in Toledo, Ohio, Lucas county. I need to know so I can finish the purchase, or cancel it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
No way, no how. Unless you buy a complete bike from Wildfire motors, you aren't going to be legal here in Ohio, ever.

Still want that kit? I will not be offended if you don't.

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
Ohio certainly is restrictive, but not neccesarily prohibitive.

Section 4511.01 of the Ohio revised code defines a motorized bicycle as any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is capable of being pedaled and is also equiped with a helper motor. The law specifies a helper must:

Have a piston displacement of no more than 50cc.
Produce no more than one-brake horsepower.
Propel the vehicle to a maximum speed of no greater than 20 mph on a level surface.

Yes, the state does have a list of approved manufacturers', but they are not limited only to those companies.

Section 4501-23-19 Assembly by person other than a manufacturer.

4501-23-19 Assembly by person other than manufacturer.
Nothing in these rules and regulations shall prohibit a person other than a manufacturer from constructing, assembling, or equipping a vehicle so as to conform to the specifications of a motorized bicycle. Such person shall, however, comply with all of the rules contained in Chapter 4501-23 of the Administrative Code to the same extent as is necessary of a manufacturer.

R.C. 119.032 review dates: 09/12/2006 and 03/09/2011

Promulgated Under: 119.03

Statutory Authority: R.C. 4511.521

Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4511.521

Prior Effective Dates: 4/1/78

If you fill out the following linked form, for about $30.00 you should be able to produce your own bike, providing it meets the states safety requirements.

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv4312.pdf

Some states allow your Soc. Security # to be used as a tax number, that you'd have to check further.

.flg.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I guess that's one way, but if I want to add 50 lbs. of horn, lights (high and low beam) turn signals, brake light, ect. I will just ride a moped, motorcycle, or my scooter.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
in Michigan horn can be an air horn. one like you use at a ball game. lights i would see if norm could set u up something with high and low beams. he also makes brake lights turn signals and things like that. i would go to where ever u get them registered and keep whoever is going to inspect to get it street legal with each thing you plan on doing to make it legal and get their ok on what you do. that way inspection should be no problem. pain in the neck for sure but to me it would be worth the hassle