question about morotized bicycl laws

GoldenMotor.com

mikeread

May 29, 2010
kansas city, MO
I emailed the the Kansas City Police Department awhile back about needing insurance for a 50cc scooter they said says Any vehicle of 49.5 cc or over would fall in the category of a motorcycle and would be subject to the same regulations as a motorcycle. You would need insurance and a motorcycle endorsement.

I am looking into geting a 60cc kit. If I do would need to get insurance and motorcycle licence or shold I stick woth a 49 or 48 cc kit

Thanks for the help!

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
I know we are in different states and that laws are problably extremely different, but here is my 2 cents.

I live in IL, in a little city called Mt. Prospect
(It's known for being the city where the "Blue's Brothers" obtained their car, and just recently, for being the hometown for the new "American Idol" Lee Dewyze.)
Anywho,
I have checked, double checked, and tripled check my laws, and it states that since the MB has pedals, it is considered a bicycle, Hence its completely legal.

I ride my MB to work EVERY SINGLE DAY. I take streets and sometimes sidewalks, and I have done it in front of police and nothing. I talked to the Traffic Enforcement officer, as well as one of the police supervisors, and many other patrols, and they all have said the same, that it is legal to own and use.

Also, my neighbor from across the street just obtained his first MB motor, a grubee skyhawk 66cc, and before that, he asked to take pictures of my MB to take to the police dept. and so I said ok. He took the pictures, and we took them to the front desk where a CSO and a regular officer saw it and agreed that its legal to use without the need for insurance, registration or even a license.

I hope that helps ya!

P.S. like always, double check your laws, you dont want to get in trouble for a MB.
Take a pic and take it to your local PD. See what they say, and remember, as long as the MB has pedals, its considered a bicycle.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
As you well know the laws are different in every state. I live in Sc. and I have had no problems outside of lighting and such but, I run a 80cc flying horse motor on a 24" Mtn. bike frame. from what I understand there is really no difference in appearance between the 49cc and the 80cc. so you could probably get away with the 80cc. But if you really wanna stay "legal" just go with the 49cc. If you plan on riding at night you are going to want to invest in some lights. There are tons of different lighting systems out there. If you have any other questions just ask us. That's why we are here.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction, Enjoy the ride.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I know we are in different states and that laws are problably extremely different, but here is my 2 cents.

I live in IL, in a little city called Mt. Prospect
(It's known for being the city where the "Blue's Brothers" obtained their car, and just recently, for being the hometown for the new "American Idol" Lee Dewyze.)
Anywho,
I have checked, double checked, and tripled check my laws, and it states that since the MB has pedals, it is considered a bicycle, Hence its completely legal.

I ride my MB to work EVERY SINGLE DAY. I take streets and sometimes sidewalks, and I have done it in front of police and nothing. I talked to the Traffic Enforcement officer, as well as one of the police supervisors, and many other patrols, and they all have said the same, that it is legal to own and use.

Also, my neighbor from across the street just obtained his first MB motor, a grubee skyhawk 66cc, and before that, he asked to take pictures of my MB to take to the police dept. and so I said ok. He took the pictures, and we took them to the front desk where a CSO and a regular officer saw it and agreed that its legal to use without the need for insurance, registration or even a license.

I hope that helps ya!

P.S. like always, double check your laws, you dont want to get in trouble for a MB.
Take a pic and take it to your local PD. See what they say, and remember, as long as the MB has pedals, its considered a bicycle.

1.Must have drivers license
2.No use on interstate highways
3.Not more than 50ccs
4.Less than 30mph on level grade
5.Ride as far to right as possible
6.Less than 3 brake horsepower
Nothing else except standard lighting, brakes, and auto transmission
Hope this sets some minds at rest.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
you did say scooter in the opening,,,one of the 48.7 cc listed as 50cc sounds like a good confession if they ask(rememberwhen you put on the thinner head gasket,that lowered the cc's too),,I see scooters all the time w/no tags,