An environmentally safe 2-stroke motor

GoldenMotor.com

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
With the new Federal Clean Air Act and the scare it has put into motorized bicycle engine dealers and riders, I thought I'd do a little research on the subject.

I went to Wikipedia: Motorized Bicycle - Environmental effect. The section mentioned how "dirty" the China 2-stroke motors are but noted that "this is not the case with newer 2 stroke motors such as the Tanaka "Pure Fire". Tanaka PureFire Engine Learning Center (Section 38): Tanaka's Low Emission Two-Stroke Engine

Did some more research and found that Staton-Inc. sells these engines with adapter kits. Unfortunately, the engine kits don't look near as "cool" as the China kits and are WAY more expensive. The gear reduction kit alone is twice the cost of a complete China kit...sigh.

Looks like the 4-stroke kits are gonna win the prize.

If only they could lean a little more towards "form before function" and do away with the "lawnmower" housing on the pull start side of the engine, they'd be almost as "cool" looking as the China kits we've all grown to love.

HybriDude

Apr 28, 2009
Hobart, Australia
If only they could lean a little more towards "form before function" and do away with the "lawnmower" housing on the pull start side of the engine, they'd be almost as "cool" looking as the China kits we've all grown to love.
I absolutely agree, Maxvision.

In my view, the only intelligent place to put an engine is on the frame between the wheels

Is anyone out there re-engineering the china engines to make the EPA happy?