Slime tubes

GoldenMotor.com

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Slime sealant or with the Slime tubes? The sealant amount is recomended at 4 oz per tube, this seems to me like it would possible wreak havoc with balance at speed. Any one have any thought or experience? Thanks guys!

wolfstone7

Oct 19, 2009
Ky
Good day.. here is the quote from the slime web site and the url
Will SLiME pool at the base of the tire?

Tubeless tire SLiME has more adhesive characteristics, which allows it to cling to the inner casing of the tire longer. This helps to prevent vibration when the tire rotates and the sealant is once again forced to flow around the tire.

Inner tubes are very slick, so when a bike or other tubed tire is stationary the sealant will pool relatively quickly at the base of the tire. It, too, will redistribute very quickly and evenly once the tire is up and rotating again.
SLIME - Worldwide Leader in Tire Care - NEW Slime Quick Spair & Slime Shield

Mrakulous

Mar 9, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I use slime in my inner tubes. It works most of the time. I had a small thorn which it didn't seal, but a few days ago I got a small cut in my tire and it didn't leak out. I would recommend using it because it may slow a leak just long enough to get yourself home.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
The one time I need it to work it didn't, it was a nail though. I can tell you this, it's a pain in the rear. When inflating tubes, they ALWAYS lose pressure and need inflating, the stuff gets all over everything, the inflator, the tire pressure gauge, etc. It also makes the valves leak after a few inflations and the stem has to be removed and cleaned. I wouldn't use it again.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I used slime on my first bike. I had a blown out going around a corner. Banged up my knee pretty bad & I had to walk around with a cane for a week. To top it off, my bike and I were covered in green crap that took a while to clean off. I only use thorn proof tubes, kevlar tires and liners now.
Personally, I think that stuff softens the tubes and blow outs happens. The same thing happened to a buddy. He was luckly because his tire blew at a stoplight.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I've seen other people have blowout problems too. I think in the end it's over inflation. It's hard to get an accurate pressure reading with that gunk clogging valves and pressure gauges.

If there was an easy way to get the stuff out of the tubes I'd remove it frrom mine. Better off just to carry an extra tube or two and some tools.

Last edited:

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I have used it in both tube type and tubeless tires. It doesn't work very well in my bicycle tubes. I tried it there because of the great sucess it was in my scooter's tires. I got a new scooter and the front tire wouldn't hold air for 24 hours. I notified the seller and got a new tire but before it arrived I used slime in it and it hasn't lost air after a year of use.
YMMV

Tom

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I recently acquired a bike that needed the rear rim changed out and wanted to remove the tire before I took it into the bike shop. Even after removing the core, it still wouldn't deflate nowhere near enough so I could removed the tire and tube. The shop ended up having to do it for me and I told them to just dump the tube. :-||

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
Thanks for all the responses. I'm still straddling the fence on this issue. The roads i ride on are pretty good. i think ill get slime tube and carry a CO2 inflator would make longer trips less worrysome.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
So much for those longer trips being less worrysome.

OP, if you look around on the internet you'll find blowouts aren't uncommon. If you do use slime, run the tires at lower than recommended pressure. It's not easy getting an accurate pressure reading with that stuff in the tubes.

Last edited: