electroplating my own parts

GoldenMotor.com

kbot6789

Feb 26, 2010
sahurita arizona
it will later on after its plated because the metels will not have a good bond in the rusty area and evently the rust will come to the surfice but you can prolly plate it in copper then plate it again in what ever but make shure to get a good coat of copper on it and this might prefent the rust from comeing to the surface after its platedjust make shure thares no pits

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Re: DE-RUSTING PRIOR TO PLATING ??

Harbor Freight has a cheap air media gun for de-rusting metals. That would help clean up parts that you can't get into bends and crevices.

The really good thing here is the non use of acid (vinegar is a weak acid) and that to me is the genius of the whole thing.

I can see cleaning and plating the bolts that hold the Manic Mechanic sprocket and hub adapter. The sprocket and adapter look great, but the fasteners have already rusted. Likewise same is true for a lot of the 5mm socket screws holding the rack and under seat fuel tank.

So how to clean these parts for plating without using sulfuric acid?

Jim

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
it will later on after its plated because the metels will not have a good bond in the rusty area and evently the rust will come to the surfice but you can prolly plate it in copper then plate it again in what ever but make shure to get a good coat of copper on it and this might prefent the rust from comeing to the surface after its platedjust make shure thares no pits
Hmmmm.... no pits on a sand cast, cast iron engine. Huston, we have a problem!
Darn! :(

Homeless Bob

Feb 25, 2010
Louisiana
...this might prefent the rust from comeing to the surface after its plated...
Uhhh... no.

If there is rust on the base metal and you cover it with paint, plating, etc. without treating the rust it WILL bubble the paint, chrome, etc. eventually.

The corrosion will continue unabaited if not removed or treated. In fact, depending on what is used to plate, you may even exacerbate the situation by introducing "bi-metallic corrosion".

Just a word to the wise from a guy with airframe metalworking experience. ;)

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Rust Removal & Plating Metal Source

kbot6789, do you have a chemical way of removing rust?

Where might I find nickle strips for plating?

Inquiring minds need to know.)

Jim

kbot6789

Feb 26, 2010
sahurita arizona
you can get nickle from soldering wire its like 95% nickle 5% tin it works great for plating any plumbing supply store will have the thick stuff just make shure thares no lead in it because useing led makes acid

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have a solution called metal prep that you can brush or spray on that turns rust into iron phosphate. If I brush off the powdery residue that it leaves, perhaps with a bit of alcohol for thoroughness, do you think that the phosphatized surface will be a problem? I ask because it is intended as a pre-treat for priming and painting. Primer will stick to it well, but I have no idea concerning plating.

kbot6789

Feb 26, 2010
sahurita arizona
in this picture i mixed some salt vineger and hydrogen peroxide like i told you before . now i'm useing brass so you can see whats happening. copper nickle zink brass .but for this i chose brass you so you can see anyways in this picture i have the brass on the positive and the nail as my negative now my connection to the brass is above the vinager line because if its below the vieger line it will eat your connection the darker bottle the the finished solution

Attachments

Last edited:

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I ask about de-rusting a while back, but it was buried in one of my lengthy posts.

I have wire wheels on angle grinders and an air powered media blaster, but don't think they will work on the threads and sockets of the bike bolts?

How do you remove rust from fine threads before plating?

Jim

kbot6789

Feb 26, 2010
sahurita arizona
honistly jimi dont but i di know that thare are derusting how to vids on youtube with electrolisis
even mine i get flash surface rust and i still gotta clean it of befor playing bud