another new guy here from idaho

GoldenMotor.com

gudenarrd

Jan 12, 2010
Boise,Idaho
Hello I am trying to install a 66cc motor on an old Monark cruser bike and so far having probs with the coaster brake,so I think i am going to by-pass that and install brakes from a mt bike and change the crank gear also any ideas?

gudenarrd

Jan 12, 2010
Boise,Idaho
wow Hi guys I am from Boise Id and just beginning to assemble my bike and motor,and I think its going to take me awhile to figure out this web site.But it looks like what I am looking for some answers to questions reguarding the conversion to an old cruser bike,and so far it looks like changing out brakes and front sprocket and rear wheel and chain is the way to go can anyone tell if I am doing the right thing here thanks

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Man I have done three builds with hand brakes and didn't have any problems. I have been wanting to do a coaster brake bike on my next build, but i see alot of ppl having problems,hmmm. Anyways welcome, and I am sure you find all the help you need here.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm not the biggest fan of coaster brakes TBH so I've not had to deal with a sprocket installation - but from what I've seen it's a simple matter of removing the arm and bending it slightly to clear. Having said that - I would heartily recommend Jim's sprocket adapter to save you the ongoing headache of sprocket misalignment and the problems associated with it.

I'm not entirely sure why you think it needful to change out your front sprocket & chain tho... Are you referring to the bike's or the engine's sprockets? Are you going for a shiftkit/jackshaft? Or are they just old?

Good ta have ya on the forum in any case, welcome to ya ;)

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I'm not the biggest fan of coaster brakes TBH so I've not had to deal with a sprocket installation - but from what I've seen it's a simple matter of removing the arm and bending it slightly to clear. Having said that - I would heartily recommend Jim's sprocket adapter to save you the ongoing headache of sprocket misalignment and the problems associated with it.

I'm not entirely sure why you think it needful to change out your front sprocket & chain tho... Are you referring to the bike's or the engine's sprockets? Are you going for a shiftkit/jackshaft? Or are they just old?

Good ta have ya on the forum in any case, welcome to ya ;)
O so if you use jims hub adapter with a coaster brake, then there should be no problems? If that is the case I plan to order another one anyways. And my bad I forgot about the fourth build, which was a coaster brake, but no problems.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - I really don't know about that rkorson, but I suspect you'd still need to bend the brake arm to clear the sprocket & chain even with Jim's adapter - it's just the other assorted issues with the "rag joint" style sprocket mount I was referring to (misalignment contributing to engine shock & mount failure, derailment, spoke damage, and general all-around pain in the ***) :p

gudenarrd

Jan 12, 2010
Boise,Idaho
Hi guys well i got mine up and running but have had to make adjustments but think i am in the down hill mode just need to figure out my lighting and should be good for awhile i hope so heres a pic of the old monark its not the best angle but will send more later the red is before and the black is afterbrnotbrnotbrnot

Attachments