broken gas cap tab?

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i went to get gas today at the store,the cap was hard to get off.
when i did the cap only has one tab on it,i though it use to have two,maybe the other one fell off in the tank.i could buy another cap at the auto store and use a magnet wand thingy to get the tab out. but does anybody know how many tabs is on there cap?

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
There are two,shake your cap and see if it rattles,the tab is most likley still in the cap.I posted a part # on a cap from auto zone,i'll see if i can find it. HARLEYS DAD

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i switched to using a rubber oil plug for a cap,but it fell off and i lost it and had to use the origional gas cap with only one tab,now the second tab fell off.now i have tape holding my cap on. anyone have any ideas what to use for a cheap replacement cap?
anyone have any part numbers for a car gas cap that will fit?that way i wont have to pay high shipping prices and can buy it local.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'd bet Dax has stock caps cheap but...

I FREAKIN' HATE THESE CAPS!!1! o_O

Mine loves to siphon fuel out all over the place if I dare to fill it more than halfway... It's a pants-on-head retarded design. I've heard rumors that Chevy "oil filler" caps fit (nonvented), I've heard you can just find one at the auto parts store... I've heard a lot of things...

I've yet to find one that fits, vented or nonvented. If anyone had actual part numbers, or has the year/make/model of a vehicle with a cap that fits - you'd have my undying gratitude!

I'd actually prefer nonvented as I'd like to make it a vent-tube design - but I'm not picky. I just want somethin' that would allow me to actually keep fuel IN my tank lol

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i actually do have a part number for a rubber/plastic cap(non vented) from Napa.
its a oil filler cap and you can make a hole in center and put a tube for venting.
part# 703-2300
it fits the tank but mine flew off when i hit a bump but i may get another one and try it again since it doesnt leak. and it costs only $2-3

maybe this time i will add a strap on it so i dont loose it,lol.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
i actually do have a part number for a rubber/plastic cap(non vented) from Napa.
its a oil filler cap and you can make a hole in center and put a tube for venting.
part# 703-2300
it fits the tank but mine flew off when i hit a bump but i may get another one and try it again since it doesnt leak. and it costs only $2-3

maybe this time i will add a strap on it so i dont loose it,lol.
ooh - I'll try one this weekend, thanks!

Just_Gassit

Jul 17, 2009
Northern Nevada
The tabs not broken off, it's one piece that goes all the way across. Simply tap the one side that is now sticking out further back in through the hole on the side that it seems to be missing from. To keep it from moving again, use pliers and tweek the tabs front edge on both sides a little to make it so it can't fit back through the slot in the cap. You will have to be careful because it may make it hard to put on the tank. You can carefully tweek the the inside edge of the gas tank hole to accept the now wider tabs too. If you do it right, the cap will both seal better and be easier to put on. As for leaks, I finally got mine working fairly well. Add another gap gasket (stack two) and it will seal much better. You can make one from sheet rubber from the hardware store or find some automotive cap gasket that is roughly the right size. A large thick oring will work too, just put it under the original gasket. The cap is a POS (piece of sh**) but can be made to work out okay.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I concur with just gassit ,I too had my tab come up misssing and after looking at the cap I decided to fix it than replace it! I was able to use a zip tie to hold the spring up and off the tab plate , position the tab where you want it and then carefully cut your zip tie to release spring. wa-lah and now you have a repaired fuel cap.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i'll look in my cap and see what the tab looks like, cause i here it rattleing around in there. but i'll be suprized if its one piece cause it looked like a single hinged tab on each side of cap,but if its one piece i might be able to fix it.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
UPDATE: i took the cap off and looked at it,somethings rattleing in there.
so i had to figure how to take the cap apart, tryed to take top of cap apart,didnt work,so i made a hole in the bottom of cap where the small holes are,left flaps of metal so i could close it back up and hold the spring in there. i found the tab ( its a one piece metal tab) wow,cool. Everyone becareful cause its a springloaded spring in there(where eye pertection). so i fixed the tab after a couple of hours of playing with spring and tab and closed the tabs of metal at bottom of cap,that will hold the spring in there.and guess what ,the top of the cap finally fell off,so i had to pop it back on there,if it would have came off earlier i wouldnt of had to cut the bottom of the cap,o well its fixed for now and seals better and tighter than ever and with a twist its easy to take off too,its better than new,lol and i saved some money,but i still reccomend anyone else just to go buy another cap,but that one could break too,lol. Thanks for everyones help, especially just gassit who said it was a one piece tab and got me to go look in the cap.

I fixed my gas cap and its better than new.

Last edited: