80cc engine clutch pin sticking out

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
First welcome to the forum, on a lot of new/never run engines the clutch shaft will be very tight. I've had a couple that were like that, I used a screw driver against the sprocket while pushing the lever as far as it will go. Usually once you get some movement it will free up. Make sure you have the clutch adjusted so the plate of the clutch assembly is moving, you'll need to remove the clutch side cover anyway to slightly grease the gears because most have very little grease when shipped.

benjamin94

Dec 19, 2015
Netherlands
Hey, thanks for your reply, but my problem is that the pin is sticking out too much after i removed the back cover with the flower nut.

I had to do this in order to put the chain on the drive sprocket.

Anyway i found other posts that say that the ball bearing is not in its place and that i need to remove it and replace it with a strong magnet.

I tried with a magnet but it apparently was not strong enough. Now i found this tool on the internet:

But i have to find one that fits the hole. Am i right?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No, if I'm understanding your question correctly. You don't "replace" the ball bearing with a magnet, you use a magnet to remove the bearing if it doesn't roll out easily. The ball bearing must be installed. It goes in the hole where the bucking bar goes and goes in before the bar. Also you need to lubricate the hole, the bearing and the bucking bar with a good grade of bearing grease prior to assembly. You'll also want to lube the cam in the clutch actuator cover using the same grease.

If you removed the 'flower nut' or changed its setting you'll need to start over with clutch adjustment. Here is a good tutorial on this procedure > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

Tom

Last edited:

benjamin94

Dec 19, 2015
Netherlands
Hey, you are right, I'm not very good with English.

Anyway do I need that tool to remove the ball?

And then place it back in again?

I tried to remove it with old hard drive magnets. But they were not strong enough.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
It sounds like the ball is frozen from corrosion and no magnet would be enough to pull it out. I would set the engine on it's side with the drive sprocket facing up and remove the bucking bar (you called it a pin). Then shoot a bit of wd40 or penetrating oil in the hole, take a stiff brush and work some of the grease out as best you can so you'll be able to see the ball in there. Then clean out the hole with a clean part of the brush again or use compressed air to blast it out. Then shoot a bit more of the penetrating oil in the hole and let it sit overnight. Then the next day replace the bucking bar and cover and try to move the clutch arm again.

I don't think these engines are assembled with loving care. And they can sit in a warehouse for a couple of years.

hope this helps

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your English is just fine. :)

You won't need a magnet to install the bearing. Just grease it and push it in followed by the bucking bar (the steel pin). Some excess grease will be squeezed out but that is okay.

Yours might be stuck in grease and will take a strong magnet. You can also try spraying a solvent into the hole to see if it will loosen the bearing. Some of them roll out so easily that people loose them when they fall out. Others are a bit tighter.

You might check with a tool supplier, hardware store or auto parts store for a magnet that will fit. It will need to be under 8mm in diameter to go inside the hole.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
with a new motor, you should usually be OK if you just pack a lot of grease into the hole on top of that bearing, then push in the bucking bar - a new ball is probably just stuck in dried grease rather than rusted in

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I usually squirt some lighter fluid into the hole to cut the grease, and the ball rolls right out with a few taps on the other side