1936 hawthorne Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

K Dey

Sep 23, 2015
Allentown PA
Ok so everything has been good with it and I ride it almost thirty miles a day. Yesterday I noticed the clutch slipping so I tightened it from the flower nut but the drive gear bolt was also lose like it fell off. It caught and started but that was it. Went to go to work and the nut inside the clutch drive gear keeps slipping off. What should I do? I got new clutch pads coming in but this might not be the real problem. I'll love it if someone could call me to trouble shoot it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We ask that when posting quetions that you tell us what engine you have.
Your thread title would lead us to believe you have an old engine but then you mention the "flower nut" which could indicate that you have a modern Chinese 2 stroke engine.

Please be more specific so we can offer some help?

Tom

K Dey

Sep 23, 2015
Allentown PA
Ok. Sorry about that. It is a modern motor. It's only my second build but my first one got stolen off my porch before I even got to ride it so I'm a little new to the game. Thanks for the advice.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you mean the 19mm nut under the pressure plate, first be sure the woodruff key is in place, then stick a 4.5mm allen wrench thru a link of the drive chain at the top just before the chain gets to the sprocket - this will let you apply serious torque to that nut - when tight, replace & readjust cable & flower nut

K Dey

Sep 23, 2015
Allentown PA
I ment the in the centre of the drive sprocket and I think I'm going to try that. I was worried about the woodruff key at first but don't see how it would still turn the clutch plate if that was broken. Taking a look at the tutorial posted for new real quick to see if that sheds ahh light onto my query.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
all above is right for that side too except one puts the allen wrench thru chain at bottom

note that this is a tapered shaft, so key is still important even if it seems locked in place

K Dey

Sep 23, 2015
Allentown PA
Remember how I said I thought it might of been the woodruff key but I checked and it didn't look broken? I was wrong. It broke clean then decided it would cause mayhem to my clutch shaft. The replacement parts are cheap but the work looks like a real pain. What else besides the new shaft and woodruff keys will I need. The threads aren't stripped on the chain drive gear but the other half of the key was pretty well in there.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
shaft & keys should do it, but the keys and slots come in diff thicknesses - you may need to file the key or slot in sprocket or clutch hub to get a good fit if sizes don't match