has anyone used a china girl engine as an outboard motor for a small boat ???

GoldenMotor.com

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
yes, it sounds strange, but I've got a flat back canoe and I'm contemplating building an outboard motor using a china girl motor

someone has had to have done this by now,,,,, anyone ???

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is an old thread discussing this subject. If I find it I'll link to it for you.

The biggest problem you might face is cooling. The Chinese 2 stroke has no provisions for cooling itself except movement through the air. Unlike chainsaws, weed whackers and the like there is no shrouding or flywheel with cooling fins. Air passing over the cylinder and cylinder head is the only way a CG can dissipate heat.

That's just food for thought.

Tom

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Not a China girl, but I'm doing a harbor freight outboard using the Vertical shaft Predator engine that's around 170CCs and four stroke. I'm coupling it to an elderly 10 hs Evinrude lower unit.
SB

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
What you want is a "mud motor" aka Surface drive.

People have built them from string trimmers, which is much better than a china girl in that application

Of course a larger one could be built with a 79cc or 212cc Harbor Freight engine

212 mud motor video

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I saw the same concept in Thailand only they used automotive engines. I saw many with little 4 cylinder car engines and a long propellar shaft attached to the boat's transom and steered by a tiller. Some of them were f-a-s-t!

Tom

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Not a China girl, but I'm doing a harbor freight outboard using the Vertical shaft Predator engine that's around 170CCs and four stroke. I'm coupling it to an elderly 10 hs Evinrude lower unit.
SB
I've got my eye on the new HF V-twin as a possible inboard for a little runabout. ;)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Like the trimmer application. Gonna keep that in the back of my imagination. Prolly do that one day. lol:D

Would not be hard at all to fab up a prop to one of these.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I use to have an 8hp 2 stroke on my skiff and it was a slug until I upgraded it to a 15 hp Nissan. I can only imagine how slow a ht or weed Wacker motor is especially if you're racing others to that fishing spot.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I was thinking trolling motor speed. You have a very good point tho. Sure as heck don't wanna spend half the day just trying to get to a fishing spot! lol