Don't tell my wife

GoldenMotor.com

smoothcruiser

Feb 16, 2011
E. Haddam,CT
I took this rainy new england day off from work today for no other reason than i jus did'nt feel like going. So i'm just hangin out in the basement enjoying my morning coffee sitting at my workbench. Start flippin thru pages of bicycles on craigslist and spot this local listing for 1962 Columbia Firebolt, great cond. $275. Long story short, I was bored,interested,and this guy only lived four miles from my house! Guess what's in my basement? lol. I ended up giving $235 for it. (probably too much but i don't care). Not sure what i'm gonna do with it yet but it sure looks cool just sitting here, heh, heh (don't tell my wife).

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you don't pack that thing up and ship it to me, I am going to tell your wife.
Blackmail? Maybe, but that bike is so cool it justifies criminal action :)

You gotta keep us posted on what you do with that bike, Smooth. Just too cool. Thanks for sharing with us.

Tom

smoothcruiser

Feb 16, 2011
E. Haddam,CT
lmao,ha,ha too funny! Don't worry Tom, there's two new china girl kits in the closet right behind the photo. My wheels are turning! I'll keep ya posted!

smoothcruiser

Feb 16, 2011
E. Haddam,CT
Uh oh, you guys are gangin up on me now. I can feel the pressure to perform! Just promise to keep it on the low, low from the wife and i'll send build pics soon. (when she sees it, i'll just tell her i found it at the dump,shhh)!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey,
At least you didn't pay 10K for it and put it on your credit card. Another member here did that and bought an electric bike. He had to have a new kitchen built for his wife before she found out about his purchase. Of course, I won't mention any names.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
It wasn't Tom, but it was an epic tale!! And the bike didn't even have an internal combustion engine!!

That Columbia is a sweet piece of engineering ---- I've got the perfect engine for it hiding in my garage.....1932 Briggs with a foot starter......

Last edited:

smoothcruiser

Feb 16, 2011
E. Haddam,CT
oh, ok i gotcha. Nothing against E-bikes, but it's gotta go rat-a-tat-tat and make a little smoke to peak my attention! A '32 briggs with a kicker sounds pretty cool!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that's why i'll never get married. :)

that's a great bike and about the right price for an all original survivor like that.

i love the way the frame continues into the bookrack.

myself, i'd keep it as a bicycle, but that's just me. i live where there's sunshine 11 months out of the year and beach boardwalks to show it off.

whatever you decide, please (!) don't paint it, cut, modify or weld anything to it...

complete bikes like that are hard to come by in that condition.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I believe that a correct engine for that would be long and flat, in the manner of a Maytag or Johnson flat twin, or an old reed valve American single, sitting on that long horizontal section. But I know nothing.