Using top hat adptors for rear disk brakes?

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Anybody using the top hat adaptors to be used with the rear disk brakes for people not using the shift kit? if you are can you give ur review about them?

Im in the process of rebuilding the bike which I have the frame coming and my front forks coming so now its time to upgrade from the v brakes to disk brakes. Want to be able to use both disk brakes in the front and rear and I read up on top hat adaptors from kingssalsandservice.com. Looks like a great idea for the non shift kit users out there!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've got two brake disks here that have the six holes spaced just a bit differently - I've not looked at the top hat adapter as I don't know which form factor it fits.

Anyone know about these?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I don't have any personal experience with the top hat adapter as I run a front drum and rear coaster, but from what I know, the top hat adapter is supposed to accept discs with the ISO standard hole spacing. I'm guessing the only way to tell if your disc will fit is to find out if the hole spacing is ISO standard (chinese department store bikes probably dont have ISO standard disc brakes, fwiw). What ISO standard hole spacing is or how to tell if your discs have it, I can't tell you that because I've no experience with disc brakes whatsoever.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Here's info. on disc brakes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake

From what I read and measuring my own rotor, the ISO standard for disc brake rotors is 44mm BCD (Bolt Center Diameter). Some Chinese brake rotors have a different BCD. You also have to be careful with the thickness of the Chinese disc rotors. Some are very thick, especially the ones made for scooters.

Here's a disc brake converter from Chopperus.com that has the bolt pattern for both ISO standard and non ISO standard disc rotors. I believe Chopperus.com house branded disc rotors are non ISO standard.

http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/308/Disc-Brake-Rotor-Converter/

Stick with Avid, Hayes, Tektro and other name brands and you'll be o.k. Many of the sellers on Ebay from China will state compatible with Avid, Shimano, Hayes.

Just be aware of what you are buying.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue