REI now sells motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yesterday I was shopping at REI, in the bicycle department of course, and their mechanic told me they started selling ebikes.

Even though I have a very low opinion of the ebikes REI is selling, my basic reaction to this news is very positive. For one thing REI is a major player in bicycle sales. If a major player like REI decides to sell motor bicycles, all the other major player bike shops have to at the very least keep a close watch on how this plays out.

This could be the perfect storm. We have high unemployment, high gas prices, and a internet filled with superior gas powered motor bicycles. Timing is so important. If this gets any traction, more, and more people will automatically become aware of motor bicycles. Even though ebikes have a lot of drawbacks, they can still serve our purpose of making people know motor bicycles exist, and it's really a lucky break for us that the current crop of ebikes are just incompetent enough to make people search the internet for a better motor bicycle. That's when sales of gas powered motor bicycles will take off. Probably ebikes too.

I can't wait to see the look on the jerk elite bicycle shop employees faces when they're forced to start catering to motor bicycle customers.

I don't know if every store will stock them, but they're on the website. The store I was in didn't have any, but apparently it's new.

My question is, if they can sell that crap for that much, why can't someone sell China Girls for that much?

But of course the answer is some do, and I think well they should.

This is what $1300 get you.

http://www.rei.com/product/833668/currie-izip-e3-vibe-df-bike-2013

This is what $2500 gets you.

http://www.rei.com/product/833527/currie-izip-e3-metro-lsf-bike-2013

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Re: REI now sells MBs

I think REI is watching Bicycle Warehouse as they have been selling electric bikes for over a year now. I told BW what I was gonna do with the Felt "Slant" they sold me a year ago.....can't wait to see their jaws hit the ground when I ride this into their store.....

As well, my LBS that used to hate motorized bicycles now builds my wheelsets for my motored bicycle and are interested in having their own now. The times they are a changing.......

dnut

And $2,500 will get you an indentical bike to the one pictured above built by me ;) This is not an ad.....it's just a fact.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I think REI is watching Bicycle Warehouse as they have been selling electric bikes for over a year now. I told BW what I was gonna do with the Felt "Slant" they sold me a year ago.....can't wait to see their jaws hit the ground when I ride this into their store.....

As well, my LBS that used to hate motorized bicycles now builds my wheelsets for my motored bicycle and are interested in having their own now. The times they are a changing.......

dnut
I hope you're right, and I'm optimistic you are. The mechanics at REI have treated me the best so far. They've made me 2 sets of wheels that are practically indestructible. They all know I ride a MB, and are nice to me when I'm in their store.

The shop where I recently bought my Deep Six treated me like dirt, after I told them I was going to motorize it. It's a local chain called Bicycles Plus. They cater to upper end bicyclers, of the snooty kind. The only reason I went there was because they were the closest Felt dealer to my house. I rode the Atomic BB to their store once, and the manager wouldn't even come out and take a look at it. Every other shop I've been to in town, whether they liked MBs or not, at least had to come out and take a look lol.

One shop that was a little more reseptive told me they have thought about motor bicycles, but were afraid of liability issues. Actually I've heard that from more than one shop.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Not interested. If the quality of their bikes are as bad as the rest of their product line then it's junk, I don't care how people talk them up. Yeah, I've got bad stuff from them several times, shoes mainly, but everything I've got there was of better quality and price elsewhere. I blew through the bottom of a pair of hikeing boots in 3 months of strenous climbing in and out of my computer chair and from rugged walking around a grocery store. A pair of sunglasses that broke at the hinge putting them on after 3 days. Some here would say it's just me, after all I'm the guy that breaks vices and stuff ;)

Oh, yeah, the first bike looks the same as a bike you can get from Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466672_200466672

Last edited:

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY

Bicycle shops might not, but motorcycle shops.. maybe. Would this be good though? Streets crowded with mo bikers drawing attention...

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

Currie eBikes are a standard reliable consumer eBike, they sell them through the big box stores.

I don't ever see bike stores carrying gas bikes unless we go into WWIII, god forbid.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Bicycle shops might not, but motorcycle shops.. maybe. Would this be good though? Streets crowded with mo bikers drawing attention...
I went to a rally on my mb, and a guy was there that owned one of the biggest scooter shops in town. When he saw my bike, I could tell wheels were turning in his head. He ask a lot of questions about my bike.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX

I went to a rally on my mb, and a guy was there that owned one of the biggest scooter shops in town. When he saw my bike, I could tell wheels were turning in his head. He ask a lot of questions about my bike.
Which shop is that? I might like to visit it to see what they have. You can PM me if you prefer not to name it in public.

Thanks,

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Which shop is that? I might like to visit it to see what they have. You can PM me if you prefer not to name it in public.

Thanks,
It was Vespa Dallas. There're on Greenville Ave, North of Mockingbird. I occasionally ride by and to show off one of my bikes, and they're always interested. I'm pretty sure if he thought there was a market, he'd be a lot more interested.

If you go by to look at his scooters, tell him they're nice, but I'm looking for a motor bicycle LOL.

http://vespadallas.com/

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Yes. But curious why we want to draw attention to ourselves. ?
When every household owns one they will be accepted by society and maybe less fatal accidents because more people will be aware of us?

I don't need to fly under the radar here and they are getting pretty popular. But true, it only takes an idiot or two to spoil it for the rest of us......

dnut

SavageBlunts904

May 9, 2012
Orange Park, Fl

dnut

And $2,500 will get you an indentical bike to the one pictured above built by me ;) This is not an ad.....it's just a fact.
That bike looks like its amazing!!! Fast and sturdy from the looks of it!! Nice Might hit u up when i got a better job!! Im still using my upgraded standard 50cc china girl. ive replaced everything but the engine with upgrades