Machined Aluminum Spring-Loaded Chain-Tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
I hope production costs will make it a viable product and a real source of income for you. Justin is a good choice in vendors. I have nothing but praise for that man. He's a class act with a whole lot of personal integrity and a dedication to serving his clients well. I am sure you guys will form a great partnership. Couldn't be happier for you. Good going, bud!
SB
Hi,SB.That's exactly why I called Justin first.He's always been good to me.Just a couple of weeks ago I was getting ready to mount a tank from a kit I bought off him and couldn't get the gas cap off the tank.Wouldn't unscrew!So I called him before I destroyed the cap and the tank.I explained to him what was happening and the first thing out of his mouth wasn't "That's your problem not mine" It was
"I'll send you a new tank" That's the kinda service you want to get!!
I eventually go the cap off without damaging it and called Justin back and told him he didn't need to send the replacement tank.
He Thanked me for my honesty and was happy I fixed my problem.
Plus I look forward to the candy he sends with every order!!
Thanks for the encouragement!!
I could tell you an opposite story of a bicycle parts supplier that is now my last resort source because of his service. Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited:

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
I'd suggest selling the tensioner and chain carrier separately, so that someone could opt for the sprocket or the small wheel or if they already have something appropriate purchase just the tensioner. Different people have different budgets and different skills. This makes it more affordable for some of us who live below the poverty level, but still want nice quality things and a safe ride.
SB
Yup,That's what I'm thinking offer the tensioner.
If you have a good wheel it'll bolt right on and your good to go!
If later on down the trail you want to up grade to a sprocket with a pressed on bearing it'll be waiting for ya.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
re: prototype. I like it a lot. I think this has a lot of good points. The only flaw I can think it might have, is that it might not work on typical mountain bikes (could rub on the tire).

Did you see my home version using the Baja roller wheel and go-cart tension spring?
Mine works well as long as the chain is as short as practical, just taking up vibration and wear slack. The problem with mine is that it runs on the chain being pulled by the motor. If the chain has much slack, it will defeat the spring and run loose at the bottom.

I think yours does well what I originally wanted to do.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I really like your design. It would clean up the look of any bike(that uses a tensioner). But for us poor people, we need a version we can use with our 'stock' or 'bearing' tensioner. Hopefully that'll keep cost down not having to ship a wheel at all, eh? Then people can mount whatever they want.

For people using their tensioner for 'offset chain adjustment', they can just add a washer here and there to get it where they want, ya?

I hope the price won't be too high so I can get one. :/

Edit- Will you include a longer clutch 'pusher bar' exactly the added length of the thickness of the plate? I think you'll pretty much have to.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I get candy from almost every thing I get shipped to me!!
It's usually green or white,sometimes pink.Shaped like cheese puffs it all tastes the same though,Kinda like styrofoam!!! Kip
[email protected]
And all this time I thought they were like fruit cake and you just passed them along,prolly cause of the dry styrofoam taste lol
xct2

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Are we talking about the "Feed me Semore" things, I wouldn't want to piss them off with those. lol

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
re: prototype. I like it a lot. I think this has a lot of good points. The only flaw I can think it might have, is that it might not work on typical mountain bikes (could rub on the tire).

Did you see my home version using the Baja roller wheel and go-cart tension spring?
Mine works well as long as the chain is as short as practical, just taking up vibration and wear slack. The problem with mine is that it runs on the chain being pulled by the motor. If the chain has much slack, it will defeat the spring and run loose at the bottom.

I think yours does well what I originally wanted to do.

Hi,happycheapskate.If you are using the supplied rear motor mount the wheel or sprocket on the tensioner should be in the same location as pictured on any bike!
My bracket is mounted to the motor not the bike.
Yes I did see your's props for you addressing a common problem.
It's fun to see others views on how to fix something.
Thanks for the compliments.Kip
[email protected]

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
I really like your design. It would clean up the look of any bike(that uses a tensioner). But for us poor people, we need a version we can use with our 'stock' or 'bearing' tensioner. Hopefully that'll keep cost down not having to ship a wheel at all, eh? Then people can mount whatever they want.

For people using their tensioner for 'offset chain adjustment', they can just add a washer here and there to get it where they want, ya?

I hope the price won't be too high so I can get one. :/

Edit- Will you include a longer clutch 'pusher bar' exactly the added length of the thickness of the plate? I think you'll pretty much have to.
Hi,Killercanuck!!"Sure will" I am going to include longer mounting allen head bolts a longer clutch"pusher bar".
I'm also going to offer the tensioner alone,or you can order one with the up-graded wheel with a machined thru bolt"not" that cheezy 8mm bolt that some kits come with or if you want you can opt for a urathane sprocket that's pressed onto a nice roller-bearing!
I'm gonna try to keep the price reasonable but you have to understand you can't get these things made for fish heads and rice! Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited: