bought X5 49cc Motor kits got 66/80cc kits??

GoldenMotor.com

demac

Mar 8, 2010
Canada, Ontario, Brampton
i ordered five kits a few weeks ago from ZoomBicycles. i only paid $630.00 flat, free shipping, pretty good deal im guessing. As soon as the motors arrived i look on the box they all say 66.5cc or something like that, i am really confused now. did i get the (china) 66/80cc or the 49cc. i just built a new bike with this motor and it sure seems like its missing power, compared to my other true 80/66cc bikes. but they do say the same cubic centimeters. this motor sucks on any incline too, but im going to break it in first before i tryin figure out whats hold the power back. here is a picture of the bike and motor 2.

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Can't say for sure, but it kinda looks like a 49cc motor. And outside of breaking it in.... could explain the lack of power. A lot of times people ship in whatever boxes they have on hand...what's printed on the box doesn't neccesarily denote whats in the box, that's all.

Where'd you get b/w film for your camera? J/K!

Last edited:

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I didn't even look at the box on my zoomcycles engine. There was a sticker on the engine itself with all of the emmissions and other info. Look at your sticker. I ordered the 80/66 version and that's what the sticker said. Mind you it doesn't mean they put the right sticker on the right engine either. But anyways......

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I misread your post when I replied to it. I thought you wrote that you ordered the 80cc kit and the box said that it was a 49cc engine. My mistake. Anyways, it does look like you got the proper engine. The engines we commonly refer to as 80cc actually have a displacement somewhere around 66.5cc give or take. That's simply because we and the Chinese have a slightly different way of calculating displacement. Depends if you calculate it boreXstroke or if you also add the cylinder head volume to your figures as well, that's where you get the 80cc/66.5cc numbers from.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hi Demac, nice build.
My question is why did you put a tensioner on the drive side?
With your derailer tensioner there is no chain chain matching issue so just run it direct.
That will remove a completely unneeded moving part and improve the looks.

Actually, with a Jackshaft you wouldn't need a drive side chain, sprocket or tensioner at all AND you could use your bikes gears.
That would instantly solve your gutless motor problem too.
With just my little stock 48cc and a 3-speed hub shift it slaughters every 66 straight drive bike I've built in every way.
I can putt along smoothly at 5 MPH in 1st, and cruise in 3rd at 30+ MPH at half throttle ;-}

The kits are $150 so it doubles the motor cost, but it cuts your problems in half and quadruples the riding enjoyment.

Since you have gears, why not use them right?