Grease that doesn't fly off?

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Just looking for some grease suggestions to lube the gears under the clutch cover so the grease doesnt fly off like the usual ballbearing/chassis grease. Thinking about molybdenum grease or something similar. I know some have even added graphite to their regular grease. Anyhow, can anyone drop some common product/brand names of suitable greases for this application?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Chain lube (some) may work. Usually, it "flys off" because there is too much on. You only need enough to make the 2 micron film for protection. It may look like there isn't enough, but there is as long as you can see the lube on the gears (look very closely).

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Molybdenum Disulfide grease is great stuff, and i've used it for a long time - sticks to the chain quite well and forms a nice coating that resists water wash-off.

The biggest problem with that style of grease is the fact that when it gets on your clothing, you basically have to throw those items in the bin, as the grease is almost impossible to wash out, not to mention the black stains that get under your fingernails and will be of endless complaint by your wife or girlfriend.

I've now tried going another route and have been experimenting with 100% PTFE grease (also know as teflon grease), but it's to early to call judgement.

Fabian

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Speaking of chain lube, I used to buy Castrol brand chain lube in the spray cans for my bike chains. While I had no complaints about the lube itself the containers all seem to have faulty valves and the grease just slowly leaks out over time. I'll never buy Castrol chain lube again.

Bought 1 can last spring. Lubed the chain and when I went to use the lube again mid summer the container was empty and there was a great big 'oil spill' down the side of the can and a stain on my garage shelf about a foot in diameter. (wooden shelf ruined, impossible to clean!) Thought it was a fluke so I bought another can, lubed my chain and again went to use it at the end of the summer and same thing. It all leaked out. So for giggles I bought a 3rd can of the same grease from a different store to get a can from a different batch. Used it once and several weeks down the road same thing.

Having only 3 bikes, a single can should have lasted me 2 years or more, not be a single use only item. Very dissapointed.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
BTW, oddly enough the cans didn't have any complains/comments 1-800- number on the side like a lot of other products do and I didn't feel like surfing the net to find Castrol's contact number to complain which I typically would have done right away.