Howdy from Ms; first build planning headaches

GoldenMotor.com

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
Hope you guys can read fast; i have a lot of particulars in planning my first ever build :) I was only exposed to this alternative mode of transportation three weeks ago, got to ride one yesterday and i'm hooked; i've nearly gone blind researching all the various bicycles, engines, gearboxes plus the "chinese vs. U.S." decision. It seems that most everything is still in the development stage which is making it awful hard to choose a product that will stand the test of time.
Please; any and all suggestions are welcome.
I know i want a four stroke engine; the drive is what i'm hung up on. EZ's Qmatic gearbox looks solid but i read that even with the newest innovation that some power is lost and no one has ridden them long enough to know how long it will hold up; same is with the G4 t belt drive; for aesthetics, i like the G4 better. the hs g4 kit is very tempting. Then there is the Jackshaft drive. i'm still not up on those cause it's hard for me to figure out all the ratios and the different size sprockets plus i like better having only one chain leaving the gearbox to the rear wheel. With the rear wheel i know i will buy one of Jim's adapters cause it makes no sense to me driving the spokes with a "clamshell" rig. I do not care to shift gears either so a quality clutch and one chain to the rear seems right.
Then there is the question of which bike to buy; i've heard that front suspension is mostly for show and not really needed but i like the idea as well as a cushy saddle. Mine will be some type of Cruiser cause they just look good. V brakes seem like a good idea.
All in all i'd love to put together something that will last; i plan on driving it everywhere as my primary form of transportation. That's why i'm looking at the Honda ghx 50. I don't want to have to spend a lot of time tinkering with it. I may could be sold on the hs clone but need some more reassurance.
My bike needs to pull hills well with as much of a top speed as possible. Is 35-40mph top end and 25mph on medium grade hills too much to ask for a 210lb man?

Hoping some of you will help me decide; i know i can trust you all to not just "sell me a product" but consider my quandry and help me get on the road.

Live long and prosper, even as your soul prospers

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

Take a look at Thatsdax.com Titan rear mount 4-stroke, it might be just what you are looking for.

cvlt1

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
The rear mount doesn't suit me brother; i want a in frame mount in a cruiser. does the that'sdax work in frame?

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
I must sugest you might want to look more into the China 66cc two stroke kits. Sold as 66, 70 , or 80cc by many dealers. Power for your weight, very simple to build & maintain.

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
I must sugest you might want to look more into the China 66cc two stroke kits. Sold as 66, 70 , or 80cc by many dealers. Power for your weight, very simple to build & maintain.
thanks; i kinda set on the honda motor and the four strokes are way less noisey. if i can figure out how to gear the honda i should have pull for the hills

'preciate the reply

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. There was a member on this site looking for someone to ride the Natchez Trace with him, so maybe you two can make it happen after your ride is assembled and broken in.

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
Welcome to the forum. There was a member on this site looking for someone to ride the Natchez Trace with him, so maybe you two can make it happen after your ride is assembled and broken in.

Was the rider's name "Elmo" he lives here and we have talked once and he let me ride his home made recumbent; wow, that was some fun; it grieved me when he drove away. my delay in build are as follows: i love the ready made for motor kits fulihua g2 bicycle but i can't find anyone who will have an "informed" review of it. the other thing is i'm torn between the g4 t belt tranny vs. the ez Q matic. everything seems to still be in the development stages so the only component i'll be sure about in the use of the honda ghx 50.
i'd love the natchez trace ride(thanks for the heads up) to be without incident.

advice? thank you

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I believe it was Elmo. We were tossing around ideas of what was a good daily distance during the trip for planning overnight stops.
A two stroke kit would be a simpler build, but it sounds like you have your heart set on a little thumper.

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
I believe it was Elmo. We were tossing around ideas of what was a good daily distance during the trip for planning overnight stops.
A two stroke kit would be a simpler build, but it sounds like you have your heart set on a little thumper.
Yes, and i trust the honda name:) i'm not at all certain on the distance thing; i wouldn't want to run it wide open for too long. maybe 25mph for 3 hours at a time? too much?

be seeing you

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
First build headache Update:

I'll post pictures soon. So far I settled with a kmark schwinn; it has v brakes and looks ok; it's the riverside version. i loved the big rear rack it has but guess what? it's blocking me from lowering the seat down low like i want so it's off for now. I want to break this thing in without the fenders so they are off.

My mounting kit should have arrived today but nooooo
I did go on and get the honda gxh motor and have removed all the stickers and painted all the plastic covering with a good flat paint after 400grit sanding first. Took the stock muffler off and then removed the carb. Yes, after removing all the governor linkage, i let someone sell me on the HS carb. problem solved but i've compromised my honda and will hold onto the old one and someday i will build the throttle linkage for it.

I also bought lee's ez q tranny and it is mounted on the engine. Now i understand that this rig allows for a slightly offset belt; i was actually hoping that the pulleys would be in line but if they're in line, the belt is not resting on the idler as it should be. I was assured it all will be fine. And i have to fabricate a bracket from the q to the bike to stop it's side to side movement(i'd love some help doing this).

So when the kit arrives i'll tackle all that while waiting on the new carb.

I've done this all on my own with your cheerful guidance; thanks to the MB, i'm back into tinkering agin; i don't feel quite so depressed
I think i'm gettin excited!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Thanks; would 20 on hills and 30 top end be more likely; less?

thanks for the reply
Those speeds sound more achievable,but thats what i get at 125lbs with a 48cc 2-stroke 44t on 26" wheels(33.2mph flat ground and half up hills).

You'll want a 66cc and even maybe a shiftkit.

Last edited: