Longevity

GoldenMotor.com

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Hey, Elmo. I like your build.

I've got a 25cc Homelite leaf blower motor diy friction drive on a 1973 Schwinn Continental 10-speed. I bought the blower used at a yard sale for ten bucks. I don't know how much use it got before I bought it, but the fuel lines were crumbling, so I know it was at least a couple years old.

I've put about 4000 miles on it so far. My shortest ride is into town, about 6 miles each way. I'll often take longer rides about 15-to-20 miles each way.

This Homelite motor seems to be well-built. It's lasted two whole years so far and I hope to get another year out of it. I have two weed whacker motors for replacement; a Craftsman and a McCulloch, both about 25cc. The craftsman seems very flimsy. There's only two cheap "head bolts", all the aluminum is thinner than the Homelite's, and the crankcase cover is actually part of the plastic housing. The McCulloch is built better, but not as good as the Homelite.

I've had very few problems in that 4000 miles, but like 2door says, "few problems" is relative. My hockey-puck scrubber lasts a good 1000 miles. When I replace it, I repack my outboard bearing with fresh grease. Actually, I have two bearings, so I always have one ready to slap on. I get them from Farm & Fleet for 8 bucks. They are "sealed" ball bearings, but I pry off the seals, completely clean them with solvent, then repack them with bearing grease.

I got one flat last year, one this year, both on the rear. I was buying Bell Streetster tires because they were cheap and stocked at WalMart. But they wore out fast. The Kenda I put on is holding up much better.

The frame's rear brake mount spanning the seat stays cracked. I made an improved motor pivot system, so that should never happen again.

I always keep my bikes clean and maintained, motorized or not. While you're cleaning and lubricating things you inspect and jiggle things to make sure everything is proper. I know there are people who just want to buy it and ride it till it breaks. Sad.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks A-Dam
Your ride looks to be well bullt. As with any piece of machinery maintainance makes the difference between a dependable ride and one that will put you down frequently. Tom Bartlett who worked for Zipcycles said they used a 25cc homelite on their units. Homelites seem to be well built altho the later ones used plastic for the crankcase cover instead of the aluminum on the earlier ones. The ones I have will not interchange.
Like you my shortest ride is 6 or 7 miles oneway and most of my rides are in the 20 to 25 mile range. I have a little over 300 miles on mine now. Seems like it is good to go for a while now. I have repaired my origional engine now for a spare that will bolt on in about 30 minutes. Happy trails.
Elmo

joker

Oct 6, 2009
clearwater
hey salty
i have between 6-7 hundred miles on mine just a couple of head bolt issues
chain likes to be loose always monitering that but you said the magical word that keeps these bikes running properly

MAINTENANCE RIDE ON

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Thanks, Elmo. I guess I planned out my design pretty well and am probably lucky its lasted so long. I bet you'll get a lot of miles out of that motor. I used to run 50:1 (non-synth), now I use 80:1 Amsoil.

You've obviously heard of Zipcycles. I never did until I was posting in a thread with Neat Times, mentioning some ideas I had for improving my setup. He let me know that many of my "original" ideas were done before with the Zipcycle. That's OK; whatever works best. I'd rather copy a good design than create a bad design.

I'm gonna check out your previous posts and see how you engage/disengage your friction drive. Might learn somethin'.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I have about 3000 miles on my 66cc. I have a KMC420 chain and a custom skateboard wheel roller. My main issue is always the crappy carb ... But I haven't had any engine issues. My biggest issue was the down tube on my bike broke doing about 35... that bent up the 415 chain (why I have an upgraded one now), broke all 4 mounting studs off flush with the engine, bent my exhaust, then the chain bound up in the rear wheel and broke/bent half the spokes. Pretty much complete carnage. I have a stud puller, and taps and whatnot, so fixing the engine wasn't a big deal. New wheel, put a pipe in the down tube for regidity , and it was right back on the road :)

danbo

Nov 21, 2009
Illinois
Hi new to the motor bike thing just finished one . ... Although so far i had to make up a new plug wire so far so good ...few thing on mant. i would like know.... grease the cluch how much and where? and what kind . also how do i know if my cluch is adjust right

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Hi new to the motor bike thing just finished one . ... Although so far i had to make up a new plug wire so far so good ...few thing on mant. i would like know.... grease the cluch how much and where? and what kind . also how do i know if my cluch is adjust right
What engine do you have?
You don't want to grease any type of clutch though!!!! it will stop working!!!
With my HT engine I just put a pea sized dab of heavy lithium grease on the gears every 2 or 3 weeks.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I have the basic BGF 48 cc china girl on a Huffy Santa Fe. Broke a master link close to home, broke a chain WAY too far from home. Had the clutch handle break but managed to limp home. I've also had a variety of studs strip. This unit is held together in a large part by JB weld. Yet I've got around 500 miles on it and when it runs it runs great. I now tend to carry a supply of spare parts wherever I go.

scratg

joker

Oct 6, 2009
clearwater
HEY DANBO
you remove the clutch cover remove the clutch pin put a little grease on it and the sprocket also there is another panel on the other side of the motor where the drive gears are grease those to.
make sure your head is properly torqued usually 10 pounds

ride on

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
In all my worldly travels, one of the best tricks that I've found for engine longevity is to let it warm up before driving it! ;)
I do this with my cars, bike, and boats, saws, etc.
It makes me cringe when someone starts an engine cold and takes off. Especially with these 2-stroke engines, they require fuel/oil in the bearings to lubricate. If they sit for a while most of that drains out. If you let out the clutch and just go there is a good chance you're destroying the bearings.