$20 a gallon gas proposed.....

GoldenMotor.com

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I saw online this a.m. that it's suggested that gas prices will go that high as a way to save our economy.
Maybe there's more of a future for these M.B.s. If so, I'm grateful to have been using new ways of building and experimenting with them.
Anyone think this may happen?

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
Somebody might propose it, but your average Congresscritter knows voting for it would be a vote for going back to the farm and retirement.
I was all ready to buy into the "Peak Oil" argument last summer when it went through $4, but then it went back to $2 or less and the word came out that gas went up in price because the Day Traders wanted to see if they could get away with gouging us.
The primary reason I built this thing was to use it for my 40-mile daily commute when the prices got back to $4 and up, but so far, prices are going DOWN. $3 around Memorial day, now under $2.50 most places.
Fortunately, I discovered just how much FUN these little corn-poppers are to fiddle with and ride.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I saw online this a.m. that it's suggested that gas prices will go that high as a way to save our economy.
Maybe there's more of a future for these M.B.s. If so, I'm grateful to have been using new ways of building and experimenting with them.
Anyone think this may happen?
Please post a link. Who is saying $20 gas will "save our economy"? The new crew in FULL power?

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
save the economy? highly unlikely, more likely to destroy it! nobody could go to work, supplies would noy be able to get to places! fleets of company vehicles sitting in parking lots. a taxi right would be $500+

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I have a passing familiarity with both economic theory and practice and I would love to hear how raising gas prices at all, let alone to $20 a gallon would positively affect the economy.

Sounds like step one would involve redefining what a good economy is.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
wait till the cap and trade bill becomes law. $20 might seem cheap then.
Hmmm. Wonder if *THAT* could have been where the "$20 a gallon" story came from.
I've heard that my electric bill will go up to $4,000 a month under "cap and trade".
But this comes from the same think-tanks that tell me HMO's give you GREAT healthcare value, too.

The only people I've ever met who think rising energy prices are good are those who hate humanity or live in their mom's basements and have no idea what she pays to keep their playstation going.

Anyway, with a 120+ MPG Mo-Bi in the stable, we're better equipped than most to handle whatever comes at us, right, guys and gals?
usflg

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
20 bucks US$ a gallon...lol...being Canadian and all I'd love to see that as it would send our dollar and economy through the roof since we sell the bulk of our oil and NG to you guys :D

Not likely to happen though...which of course is good news.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
If fuel goes to 20.00 a gal.I will have 35 trucks,10 aircraft aprox.200 pieces of motor driven tractors for sale cheep.ANYONE GOT ANY MULES FOR SALE.HD

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
It could happen here in Canada where apparently 50% of our countrys working force--directly or indirectly are paid by the government--these guys dont know the meaning of really working for a dollar and what running a business means--reduce government interference otherwise we will be in a one world economy with a few rich guys at the top and the rest of us Chinese slaves !

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If gas goes to 20 dollars a gallon, then everything we buy will be shipped at such a high cost, the country will revert back to the 19th century.

Me and all my Amish neighbors are ready.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
If gas goes to 20 dollars a gallon, then everything we buy will be shipped at such a high cost, the country will revert back to the 19th century.

Me and all my Amish neighbors are ready.
19th Century? The upheaval from not being able to move stuff would make it more like the 12th Century, IMO.
In the 19th, we had horse-drawn transport, railroads were on the rise, instead of being a quaint memory, and most the people lived in citites and towns, within walking distance of everything they needed, not a 20-minute SUV drive to the nearest cheezburger.

This won't happen over night, but Madison Avenue will ignore it in a heroic effort to get us to ignore the man behind the curtain and keep us clamoring for the latest video game and the Auto Industry will spend their efforts on trying to create a 25 MPG SUV and call it "green".

I'm thinking things will look more like "Mad Max" than "Witness".