i am kinda new

GoldenMotor.com

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida
alright i say kinda new because my brother has been building bikes for about a year. i just broke down and got a schwinn jaguar with a china kit. so hello everyone. what upgrades would you make right off the bat

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I would upgrade the clutch lever and the chain tensioner. I would also get a spare chain and extra master links to carry when you ride. It is a real pain to have to pedal a bunch of miles to get home on an overweight single speed bike! I speak from experience!

:-||

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. I'd get that China Jag assembled and running smooth before worrying about mods. Your wiring will need to withstand the rain showers in Florida.
By the time you have the Jag broken in, you will have a good idea of what you want to add as far as lights, speedo, seat, etc.
Check out the HP Engine Modification forum on this site for speed equipment.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
vball,
Welcome to the forum and from another Jag owner, in fact I have 2. If there is anything the Jaguar needs it is a lay-back seat post. Extend the saddle back 6 or 7 inches and you'll see a world of difference in riding comfort. The Jaguar is notoriously short in the crotch. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.
Tom

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida
thanks for the input. i am pricing out the new seat post. I really like that idea i am 6 3 and the bike dose feel a little short. why do you suggest the new clutch arm? would this be a custom part. also one thing i am noticing is the clutch is very stiff. will this break in or should i tear into it already. my brothers and his friends bikes have a nice soft smooth function where mine is much more stiff and hard to use. just trying to sort out the kinks.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the stock clutch arm will work fine,take the spring off of the clutch cable near the arm and the clutch will be smoother and alot easier to pull. and yes after you use the bike for awhile it will be easier to pull.

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida
yea i didn't even bother with that spring in the first place but ok i will hang in there and see what happens. thanks for the input

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
vball,
I think Fin Fan was talking about the handlebar clutch lever. Some of the ones that come with the kits are very short and have less leverage than a longer one. The increased leverage will help with a stiff clutch. It will also help to make sure you have no sharp bends or kinks in the clutch cable and a few drops of oil down the cable sheath will help too. There is a modification that can be done to the clutch actuator lever and cam on the engine. There are several ways to make the clutch easier to pull but try the ones mentioned here and read through the threads devoted to that topic. Good luck.
Tom

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
Welcome to the form. You can find all the information a person would need here on the form.When you are able post some pictures. I also live here in Florida in the Hudson area.Were are you located?

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida
i am in Orlando. ok now i understand i was reading an old post a while back about the actual arm. i already replaced the lever with my original break leaver because i went with a double break leaver. when i get the kinks worked out i will be sure to post lots of pics of the pieces parts i call my bike