Hey, from Middelburg, Netherlands

GoldenMotor.com

Ruger44

Apr 4, 2009
Middelburg, Netherlands
deleted by accident...

Yesterday, I made a post here, but as I later wanted to edit it, and give a link toa pic of my Spartamet at photobucket, I got a message telling that I could not post links. I can completely undertsand that rule for new members, but than I made an error and deleted the whole stry..
Well, I hope I can replicate it! :)

Hello, I am Anton, nearing 55 yrs of age, live in Middelburg, a quaint little old town in the Southwest of the Netherlands.
These days, I have 'downgraded' my two-wheeled hobby. After a life full of motorcycles, mostly British ones, from the 40s-50s and a few from the sixties, I now only have three Spartamet motorised bicycles. I worked most of my proffesional life in the motorcycle shop, repairing all kinds of bikes, building some specials, 1/4 mile sprinters, racers custom bikes and sidecar one-offs. And restoring vintage bikes. All in all, I owned moer than 60 (!) bikes myself, and rode almost all available motorcycles, from BMW to HRD Vincents, which was a great expierience.

This 'free' country, as we all know the Netherlands is 'famous' for in the world, does NOT allow you to build your own motorised bicycles! Otherwise, I'd be building something special, that is for sure!
So, the Spartamet is about the only choice, or you could try to find an old bike with engine.

I came to the Spartamet, after a friend of mine needed space for part of his BSA collection, he also had a BSA Winged Wheel. After I used that a few times instead of my pushbike when it was too windy, I fell in love with this kind of two-wheelers.

Although the Spartamet is a bit different to most of the bikes here, I hope we all have fun riding and working on them, and can share expieriences.

Last edited:

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Glad to hear of another European enthusiast, it's the next best thing to motorcycles, a free feeling and simplest form of transportation.

Last edited:

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Hey Ruger 44
Freedom is a word sometimes used in strange ways. Can you own a Ruger (.44) in the Netherlands? I won't ask if you have one. I am a Ruger fan since before 16 years old, now nearly 65. I have a .22 Single Six, .22 MKII, and a 9mmPK85. I started on a Yamaha 250cc in 1969 and still have it (I would love to redo it) and went to a 1965 Norton Atlas. It handled great, was fast and I loved it. But the Honda CB750's would leave me behind every time. My Norton would vibrate the fillings out of your teeth, and twice had developed cracks in the fuel tank, once in the oil tank. I sold it and rode a BMW R60/5 which was the best I ever had. I sold it to buy a Goldwing. I got hit by a car and then after a long time went to a Honda CX500 that I gave to my friend. I have a '72 CB750 all original in the garage. It has less than 13,000 miles. I would love to get it back running too.
I hope you enjoy reading this forum. I am glad I found it. I don't know if I will ever complete by motorbike project or not, but I really enjoy the forum. I am starting over again with mounting the engine and sprocket.
Pedal Pusher

Ruger44

Apr 4, 2009
Middelburg, Netherlands
Hey Ruger 44
Freedom is a word sometimes used in strange ways. Can you own a Ruger (.44) in the Netherlands? I won't ask if you have one. I am a Ruger fan since before 16 years old, now nearly 65. I have a .22 Single Six, .22 MKII, and a 9mmPK85. I started on a Yamaha 250cc in 1969 and still have it (I would love to redo it) and went to a 1965 Norton Atlas. It handled great, was fast and I loved it. But the Honda CB750's would leave me behind every time. My Norton would vibrate the fillings out of your teeth, and twice had developed cracks in the fuel tank, once in the oil tank. I sold it and rode a BMW R60/5 which was the best I ever had. I sold it to buy a Goldwing. I got hit by a car and then after a long time went to a Honda CX500 that I gave to my friend. I have a '72 CB750 all original in the garage. It has less than 13,000 miles. I would love to get it back running too.
I hope you enjoy reading this forum. I am glad I found it. I don't know if I will ever complete by motorbike project or not, but I really enjoy the forum. I am starting over again with mounting the engine and sprocket.
Pedal Pusher
Hello Pedal Pusher!

Thanks for your comments

Although British bikes are known to vibrate, I never saw (felt?) one vibrate as much as Laverda twins!
But yes, I had a leaking petrol tank on more than one BSA, but also on a BMW.
I have owned an ex German police BMW R 60/6, it was so utterly reliable that it became boring.
More BMW's included R50/2 and R67 models the last one with sidecar.
My BSA's were mostly Singles, sidevalves up to Gold Stars. . Nortons were the 16H sidevalve and 850 Commando's. Nice bikes but too young for me.
And Triumphs, that were all twins- o no; I had a 3SW too, a military 350 sidevalve single!
A sidevalve twin, the ex British War Department was a great surprise, fast for a sidevalve and very reliable!

And now the humble Spartamet, with a 30 cc two-stroke made by Sachs in Germany.
These are great fun.
And can be tuned up to do 25-27 Mph too, althogh that is illegal, it is done quite frequently.
The legal limit is 25 Kph approx 15-16 Mph?
Hope you will get your bike running, bikes are great fun!

Last edited: