my journey begins and never ends

GoldenMotor.com

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
so she's been running smooth between slow cruising (20 mph) and at full out at about 30mph before I let off. I'm still trying to not push too much still, probably under 100 miles total at this point. between 20 and basically 23 or 24 mph, there is major increase in vibration. then it smooths out, it returns when decelerating through the same speed (rpm) and back to smooth. Not feeling a ton of power. I'm 208 lbs right now.

I can't remember if I mentioned that my stock magnet was one with the "12:15 timing" instead of "1:00" as Fred terms it in his assembly video. so I tried a regular 1:00 one (thanks Legwon) and she was popping up a rucus. so last night I replaced the magnet back to 12:15, also put in the $2 magneto seal plate, and I installed the, don't say it... boost bottle.

I have it so I am trying it out. went for a couple of rides this morning, she is smoother compared to other magnet. but boost I will be testing seperately, I won't keep it unless I'm convinced it is some benefit. the less stuff strapped to bike the better.

second ride became very loud as I blew out my lovely new muffler. I don't blame it too much, it was very firm engine to frame so it took those bad vibes. really, it was almost like a stabilizer being a third attachment to the frame for the engine.

20150829_112758_resized.jpg

20150829_112738_resized.jpg

ideally I would like to try a long 1" pipe down, under and back to the rear hub. with a washer welded on the end for back pressure. I heard of this idea from Legwon knowing someone who runs it and loves it. I like the idea of a simple clean pipe. I'm on the hunt.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
ok, so running a custom made exhaust made of two broken exhausts and a flex hose joining between. and after plugging the holes in the end cap of my can, she is quite quiet and power seems ok. for now its doing well.

i have been using a1.95" knobby mtb tire on the back, as can be seen in above pics. someone thought the 2.35" originals would rub and i didn't want the hassle. well with a center kickstand swapping tires is easy, so i tried the 2.35. no problem, and sooooo much nicer ride. pedaling the bike with out the engine seems much easier and smoother, and a more cushioned ride.

chain space.jpg

all in all I'm liking the bike, motor is still breaking in (looking through the intake I can see the rings are silver and black still). has a bad patch of vibes for about about 3mph. doesn't sound like much, but it is. very smooth wot for about 15 seconds I hit 47 kph this morning, and cruising at 30 is smooth. so Legwon figures it's the crank, so I will talk to the supplier and see if he will give me a new crank.

a few changes since the last shot. alot more changes coming.
Sithunzi.jpg

the journey continues...

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
so this has turned into a bit of a blog, well I've never blogged before yee haw.

well I talked to the supplier, who is actually a distributor that carries zoom inventory among a variety of other goods. and he's not sure anoug the crank and can only offer to sell me parts as needed when available to him. he's actually a pretty nice guy, but this doesn't work for me. Legwon recently built a bike with a zoom kit and had no problem, and there are things I like about it. the big intake port, and short wide open little stock intake that matched the port already(way better than the zig zag from my test). the fews times I've had it wot and feel it building speed it was so smooth I was suprised,. but as I feel my bike is looking better, I always want it to run better than it looks. and it bugs me.

so I feel my mistake was buying it from someone who receives the box from china and stores until it is bought. the better way is to go through a vendor who opens the box and checks out his product, and even swaps out the hardware and other small details that make a difference. I went with zoom because it was a local pick up and thought local support would be beneficial. and shipping these kits aint cheap. well all support I've had has come from this forum, and some advice from KC on the other one. and meeting Legwon locally has made this noob experience a lot less painful. and it has had its pains.

so what does all this nattering surmount to?

20150927_135129_resized.jpg

well I decided to take a little ot at work and but a new engine. this one

http://cheezpk80.brokeandhungry.com/?PK80_Two_Stroke_Engine_Kits

shipping was 60 USD, and the difference between just engine and the whole kit to me was about 50 CAD. so I went with the whole kit, which should be tomorrow or the next day. the kit and the vendor come highly recommended, and it's the route I should have gone originally. so in the end the zoom kit was $200 take home and this one was $274.

I am doing a bit of detail work while I'm waiting

20150927_144624_resized.jpg

also have another mini saga in the journey

20150923_185142_resized.jpg

springer dreams have long faded into bitter ashes. really dont love the look of the rockshox on this bike, but I do love the raised front end by 4" or so. also got a pair with both vbrake and disc mounts, eventually going hydraulic disc. but it's threaded to threadless with some adaptation, understanding the importance of the integrity of this particular area. a friend hooked me up with a chris king headset, and yes it's painted. horror oh horror.

and some experienced and keen eyed builders out there will be giggling thinking about a vintage fender and rockshox, well I have plans. it may weigh a bit more but will be solid or not used.

the extra parts are a bonus too, I have tank ideas to try, need extra chain, can compare stock exhaust to my home job, and some littlebits will be nice to have two of.

now that looks like a blog

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
so it was a bit of work getting the new engine sorted out, different front mount width than my first engine. the whole kit is pretty good. 415 kmc chain, nice big clutch lever, nt speed carb, all hardware is nice hex cap, extra gaskets, extra g clips(7 extra) lots of extra washers and locking washers.

I also got the front end converted to the threadless system with rockshox, and the cruiser style halfmoon bars. I know what I want to do with the fenders and have made a front mount for the rockshox. I will cut the front fender in two and have a bolted bracket go over the arch on the shocks. the struts have a rid design with a hollow running down the leg. so I cut some thread stock to fit and used contact cement to secure it. then I will heatshrink it as well. the brooks saddle also arrived, so I have a full suspension now

20151003_202817.jpg

20151005_161802_resized.jpg

20151005_161748_resized.jpg

20151005_161733_resized.jpg

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
thanks Dave, it's coming along. I will break it in, then take it apart and do the ports and piston. I will also do the paint work then and details. and probably put my own exhaust back on once I cut the mix back. too much oil drops out in the flex pipe u bend.

front fender

20151006_182552_resized.jpg

20151006_181627.jpg

20151006_181745_resized.jpg

still have a mirror coming, and still thinking about proper lights

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
well I'm still on my journey, too many problems and solutions to go into. if it wasn't for Legwon it would probably be lying in the corner gathering dust, snapped this and that, and failures, bad decisions so on and so forth.

where I'm at now.
bottom end original zoom crank case with jb patch work and zoom stubby port matching intake. everything else from the Cheez engine (which I sheered the front mount studs off and could only get one out). so crank case is matched, this piston only has intake skirt cut out, muffler stinger cut right down. running the sha clone with air/fuel adjusts with rain sock material instead of a filter. still dialing in the jet 64 is next trial, running amzoil saber at 50:1. I got rid of the chain tensioner using rear engine mount 16g shims to fit chain(legwon idea and material), still using 2.35" fat frank tires. added shims front and rear mounts on frame, very little vibes with this set up. but I will be getting a cnc'd custom mount, I want the rear mount to come from the bottom like a chopper frame mount. I need room for a engine mounted jackshaft that I got from Chaz (it's mostly ther Chaz, just needs new bearings and some tweeking).

with a 63 jet I am getting 50 kph no problem and little over, hoping to get that up enough to get my 56t mounted and still be happy with top end. until i get the js figured out.

also back to my original handlebars. best change has been to get rid of the tensioner, wow what an difference in how it pedals and feels. I'll post up some new photos soon.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
well I tried the 64 jet and I'm going back to the 63. next will be playing with different exhaust, one that takes it out behind me. I will get new mounts and try out the jackshaft. I have to clean up the paint work and cables and wires.

20151208_150832_resized.jpg

20151208_151116_resized.jpg

handle bar set up

20151208_150909_resized.jpg

love this chain set up
20151208_150929_resized.jpg

2 shims made it possible
20151208_150945_resized.jpg

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Whatever you do, don't put rubber in the mounts. The vibrations will shake you and your bike to death pretty quickly. I tested this with my 79cc predator bike and found about 10x the vibrations with rubber in the mounts.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
I have never used rubber in my mounts, I have 16g shims in my mounts. before the shims vibration was too much, now vibration is low. I hold the rear tire up and go wot while holding it and she's smooth. riding is excellent. I will be going to custom cnc aluminum mounts in the future, so that I can install my jackshaft kit. I need a chopper style rear mount for the js to have the clearance it needs.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
So running a 62 jet, hitting 50 to 53 kph seems to be the warmed up, flat run, no aerodynamic efforts made. Finally finished a headlight mount for the steer tube, u bolt, muffler clamping piece, spacer nuts and a piece of 3/4" steel pipe for light mounting bar. she has been very good, probably put on 50 miles since last post. no issues just gas and go. when checking over everything it's holding tight

Electra Townie 7D Balloon Motorized (1).jpg

Electra Townie 7D Balloon Motorized (2).jpg

Electra Townie 7D Balloon Motorized (5).jpg

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
so played with the jet a little more and still ended back with the 62. now this is a 15mm sha clone from treatland with both a idle screw and air adjustment screw, I have been fiddling with it for a bit trying to get the most out of it. well out of curiosity I wanted to compare it to a stock carb, so I put on the nt speed I got with the Cheez kit. put the 66 jet that came in the sha clone and dropped the needle. she is not really faster (maybe 1 or 2 kph) but her response and pull is better from the bottom to the top. it's actually quite a riding change for the better, especially coming out of corners at low speed is better. no assist needed now except from dead stop, and throttle response is snappier.
I have only tried a 68 as well, and that was too big. so I'm running a stock muffler matched to port and gasket, singer cut right down to nothing. no air filter, using rain sock material instead with the nt black housing with extra holes drilled in it. I dont know if i will bother with ordering a 67, I'm probably over 200 miles but under 300. so it could still settle a little. plug is toast brown and I will continue to keep an eye on it.

and I have no idea why the fancy carb is not as good as the speed, maybe I got a bad one? I will take it apart and take a closer look at the casting work.

it's not as pretty as the sha clone but it rips alot better.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
So I was given a fancy poo poo pipe for Christmas, downpipe path was way out. a friend helped me with that with an oxy-ac torch, it's not finished yet. right now it goes under the frame and goes along the chain stay on the derailleur side. looks kinda different, but I may keep it that way. it would still need another adjustment to run along the chain stay better. or I bring back round to power sprocket side.

gasket and pipe are port matched, and pipe wrapped. I was running a 66 jet, tried 68, nope. so maybe a 67, just don't have one on hand. low end power is awesome, and noise is definitely down. quietest my bike has ever been.

and obviously when it's done, it will get paint.

20160103_130217_resized.jpg

20160103_130231_resized.jpg

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
Hey Silverbear I was reading through the opti-2 100:1 thread and I got to your posting about switching from amsoil saber 50:1to opti-2 at 100:1. that sealed it, I found it on amazon at 4 litres for $64 cad ( so about $3 usd). its on its way. I was paying $13 per quart of the saber from a guy a work that reps it.

I am running between 70 or 80:1 with the amsoil saber, and will run with 100:1 with the opti-2. I'm not going in expecting a power increase, just like the idea of a richer mix.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello MacZulu,

Just saw your thread. I'm down in the Crescent Beach area. Silverbear and I meet up every summer except the past one and build bikes at his place in Ely Minnesota. We're building 1907 Indian Tri Cars as well as others.

His has a 98cc Sacks motor and mine has a 103cc Jacobsen 2 stroke snowblower engine. It's almost complete and if my health lets up it will be finished soon and we will complete Silverbears.

I've restored a 1952 Monark Super DeLuxe bicycle and added a mahogany sidecar to it that looks a lot like a Chris Craft boat. It's electric powered. Soon to be repowered with a motor that will have more than it should have.

Steve.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
Hey Steve, my brother lived down by Crescent beach a few years ago. very nice area.

sounds like you and silverbear have some cool projects, any pics of the monark?

myself and Legwon are near the ikea in coquitlam, with out him I would have set my bike on fire and thrown it off the port mann.

now I'm waiting on my opti 2 and I think we'll both try it and revive a famous old thread with some results about the experience.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Mac, that pipe looks nice. I'll be interested to see how it lasts. I still haven't installed the yz expansion chamber but I also have a little one off the morini and not sure which way to go.

Crescent Beach is a very nice area. It has a feel of its own, kind of like island time, if you know what I mean. I used to be there a lot but both my friends there have passed.

When I run out of the Ipone stock I'll be trying the opti 2 stuff as well. There's been enough on this forum from veteran builders to make me feel comfortable about it.

ride on