Chain & Gear Lube

GoldenMotor.com

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
This is a trick my dad taught me as a kid: Use a crayon to lubricate the chain. Friction of the moving parts will heat the wax and penetrate the pores of the metal, providing lubrication. It also helps reduce chain noise. It will coat the parts with wax, helping to deter rust. It won't attract dirt, and if your bike lacks a chain guard, it won't sling off & stain your pants. I hold the crayon against the chain so it coats it where the chain meshes the gears and hand crank the pedals. I also rub the crayon on the sprocket teeth to coat them thoroughly.

I have taken this one step further, I rub crayon on the gears under the clutch cover. Unlike grease, it won't sling off easily or ooze down under the pressure plate or get on the clutch pads to allow slippage. I have noticed it does an awesome job minimizing gear noise as well. Any color or brand of crayon works. It may help reduce maintenance to those parts, reduce noise, minimize rust & corosion, and extend the life of your motor & bike.

I have done this to both the pedal chain, the motor chain, & the gears under the clutch cover, not to mention every bicycle owned by myself, my wife's & my children's bicycles. It truly works!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That is an amazing suggestion. One I've never heard before but it makes perfect sense.
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the high dollar dry chain lubricants out there is the same composition as crayons.

Years ago there was a product sold as a toy called Play-Doe. Kids of my generation were familiar with it but in actuality it was originally marketed as wall paper cleaner. They just added color and sold it as a toy. Crayons being an oily, waxy product will probably do everythging you say it does.
Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll try it and I'll go for the 'Forest Green' color for my chains. It was always my favorite. :)

Tom

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
That is an amazing suggestion. One I've never heard before but it makes perfect sense.
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the high dollar dry chain lubricants out there is the same composition as crayons.

Years ago there was a product sold as a toy called Play-Doe. Kids of my generation were familiar with it but in actuality it was originally marketed as wall paper cleaner. They just added color and sold it as a toy. Crayons being an oily, waxy product will probably do everythging you say it does.
Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll try it and I'll go for the 'Forest Green' color for my chains. It was always my favorite. :)

Tom
It seems that some chain lubes are parrifin based with teflon added. They are of low viscoty to flow into friction surfaces. The transfer agent then evaporates and leaves the wax & teflon on the surfaces.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Crayons are the best way to touch up dinged wood furniture, also. Makes a seemless 'repair'.

bill2781

May 24, 2013
okmulgee OKlahoma
hmm I got ta try that as soon as it desides to worm up and I can also get my new exhaust on . which I feel like a kid un patiently waiting for the weather to get worm lol.