First time motorized bicycler

GoldenMotor.com

Greased-Monkey

Dec 31, 2008
Oregon
Hi everyone...

I just bought a Chinese 66/80cc kit from Boygofast on E-bay. It hasn't arrived yet, but I was reading through some threads and thought I should register. This seems like the place to be if I run into any snags along the way .spr.

I'm kind of split on what I should hook it up to. I have a nice simple mountain bike...but, I really want to put it on a Ten-Speed to shave as much weight as possible...and I also think a ten-speed would kick ass with a shift kit later on. Any advice or even general ideas are welcome.

I'll take some pics of my build and will probably be asking for advice.....till then, happy riding reddd

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: First time MB'er

I haven't put a kit on a ten speed, but I have put them on a lightweight single speed with no problems. A mountain bike will be more robusto, but if you ride like a sane man, the 10 speed will be fine.

Be aware that BGF has been proven to be problematic in the recent past if you need service.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

A frame mounted engine can damage your rear wheel if the sprocket is installed incorrectly, chain adjustment is way off, spokes are too loose/tight, etc. I'd do the mountain bike, with the stronger wheels on a first build. Cheers

Greased-Monkey

Dec 31, 2008
Oregon

Thanks for he warm welcome guys ;)

You have a good Wheelbender6...thank you. I think I will start with my mountain bike.

Bikeguy Joe, could you elaborate on BGF's poor service? Do you mean obtaining parts, or just customer service in general? (like troubleshooting)

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan

Welcome to the forum!

As far as BGF goes, I think it's a hit or miss kind of deal. I got a pull start from them and got lucky, but I was willing to take the risk, even after reviewing their feedback ratings. Now that I've been here and gotten to know of much more reputable dealers, I don't have to take chances like that again!

But yeah, you are taking a chance with them.....you may be lucky, and you may be just another embittered customer!

Let us know how it goes.

scratg

Greased-Monkey

Dec 31, 2008
Oregon

Got the kit, it wasn't advertised as so, but, it's a Red Bat...it was in great working order but, when I got home I noticed that the rear studs have broken off at the block. :-||
I should of took the advice in the other thread about changing the cheap hardware...oh well, it was fun today, now I gotta see about getting some vice grips on the studs....wish me luck...I don't want to have to tap em out!!!

Update::

Got the studs out, was a little off so I up sized to 8mm studs, it worked well.
But, now I am having an issue with top speed. When I floor it it winds up, then bogs back down?
I am running a 16:1 fuel/oil ratio....checked the cylinder walls just to make sure...no visible wear, swapped plug, not fouled out so next I'm going to rebuild carb and check the points

Update 2::

Alright all fixed up and running...yay!!!

Last edited: