Custom seat pan

GoldenMotor.com

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Well, I did not like it. So I am not posting the pics. I did not like my mounting, and the overall look.

Soo........ I am reshaping the pan a bit, and changing the way it mounts and sits on the bike. It will still be nice and wide, and comfy.

Hold tight, might be a few days, but I think my revamp will be killer!

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
It wasn't so much that I did anything wrong. I just didn't like it.

All I am changing is slimming it down, and different padding/foam. Originally I was using typical furniture foam. Too soft. Sank right down to the pan, and really felt the edges. Plus the width (8" at the back) just looked like too much for a bicycle.

It was so wide and long, that it was resting on top of the back of the sissy bar. I really liked the look of the sissy bar curving around the seat, so I slimmed the back end down as well to keep that look. However, I still wanted a wide spot for my chocolate maker to sit. So this is the pan design I have now.

At this stage, I just got back from my local carpet store, and have three comfy layers of memory foam cut, spray glued, and drying. I'll be wrapping the leather again later this evening.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Where are the springs you had on the sissy bar? I thought that was a good idea.

Tom
They are going back on. This is my original sissy bar. The other one has a higher back to it, and was from an F&R suspension sissy bar. So it needed little conversion and cutting. I used it as a test subject before cutting up my favorite vintage bar.

I figured if my seat pan idea worked out, then I would just combine the two projects. Which I am currently working on now. ;)

Here is the finished skateboard nana seat. I did not have the proper tools to stretch the leather, so this was the best I could do.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
They are going back on. This is my original sissy bar. The other one has a higher back to it, and was from an F&R suspension sissy bar. So it needed little conversion and cutting. I used it as a test subject before cutting up my favorite vintage bar.

I figured if my seat pan idea worked out, then I would just combine the two projects. Which I am currently working on now. ;)

Here is the finished skateboard nana seat. I did not have the proper tools to stretch the leather, so this was the best I could do.

For not having the proper tools, I'd say that still came out pretty good. I normally don't like banana seats, but yours just truly blows me away. I've never been blown away by any other banana seat/sissy bar before ever. Looks pretty comfortable.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looks very good to me. Do you have a heat gun or a hair dryer that puts out some heat? Either will help stretch the leather, just be careful, not too hot.

How soft is it? Does it take the bumps?

Tom

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OOH! This looks so good Ratt! Nicely done! Once your done futzing could we get some shots of the underneath mounting stuff?

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
check out the thrift shop or better yet cruise the trash dump for all kinds of sofas and chairs --cushions and construction cut em apart

i have amassed a significant supply of great leather simply skinning with a matte knife/box knife every leather and vinyl sofa i come across in los angeles --used some a clean as new back sofa section of leather the other day to super glue together a great shop apron for my heavy duty welding class i am now particpating in

free foam of all sorts of densities and think of computer mouse pads

also simply --any furniture upholsterer-- i am sure-- will be happy to supply you with foam for free or nominal cost given the nature of your project/use

you only have to ask and what´s the worst that can happen simply a no!!!!

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Another source of foam are discarded mattresses. Everyone these days are jumping on the memory foam mattress bandwagon; then realize that they got rid of their good mattress and bought a piece of crap!

The memory foam mattress gets thrown out or given away on craigslist.....

One mattress will yield a whole lot of scrap memory foam.