helpmy bike rolls with the clutch engaged and this is not normal

GoldenMotor.com

DeNunzio

Mar 22, 2013
Reseda,Ca
So I am out cruising on my D3 Beach cruiser with66cc angle fire slant head and the damn thing just dies I have been running racing castor mix in my gas which has given me more power and less noise but now she is not able to make a sound only the sound of the piston when I roll the bike with the clutch engaged.:-||

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Welcome to the forum.

How many miles are on your motor? What all have you don't to it?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
We can't help you without more information.
A woman (blonde) goes to the doctor complaining of a sharp pain in her left eye whenever she drinks coffee.
After examining her, the doctor tells her: "Next time you drink coffee, take the spoon out of the cup before drinking it."

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
Welcome to the forum,maybe post a more detailed description . Like is the motor still turning over ? If thats the case, a motor needs 3 things to run. Spark, Fuel, Air ---
It also helps to know what motor and carb. you have.

DeNunzio

Mar 22, 2013
Reseda,Ca
Silver Flying Horse 66cc/80cc
NT Carburetor
44 tooth 9 hole sprocket on coaster brake hub
415 chain

Yes the piston does turn over but I am pushing the bike with the clutch engaged!
As we all know the back wheel should be sliding not rolling while clutch is engaged.

The first check I made the day following the engine falure was inspection of the magneto. Reason being that on a previous breakdown the blue wire was the cause, I re soldered it for a simple fix. Unfortunately this was not the case for my current problem, I found that the wrappings of the magneto were soaked with oil. I dried it off fastened back in place, is this part of the problem?
I inspected the piston for poss hole in piston as the cause due to loss of compression, piston intact but extremely blackened, also inspected clutch pads removed all 15 cleaned entire area found that the reverse side of pads had more abrasive reassembled remaining clutch spring, clutch plate and flat lock nut with tiny keeper screw.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Yes the piston does turn over but I am pushing the bike with the clutch engaged!
As we all know the back wheel should be sliding not rolling while clutch is engaged.

I found that the wrappings of the magneto were soaked with oil. I dried it off fastened back in place, is this part of the problem?
Where do you think the oil came from? :)
Your crankshaft seal behind the magneto is blown so replace it.

Check the seal on the other side too.

DeNunzio

Mar 22, 2013
Reseda,Ca
okay is that it the only problem is a seal being blown is causing the low compression
so what if I change the seal the bike should start?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
okay is that it the only problem is a seal being blown is causing the low compression
Probably. You have to fix one problem at a time. There should never be any oil in the magneto compartment. Anytime there is, you've got a leak. The factory not getting that seal on properly is a common problem. I always check them before putting a new motor in service. Half the time I have to replace a new seal because it's installed crooked.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
It sounds to me like the low compression is what is causing the seal to leak. The compression blow-by is making crank case pressure and blowing out thru the seal. Do the piston, rings and cylinder wall look ok?

DeNunzio

Mar 22, 2013
Reseda,Ca
yes the piston and the cylinder wall look fine but why would the engine just quit all of a sudden I noticed the leakage the engine stopped working so why won't the motor start

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What can happen if a crank seal blows out is, air can enter the crankcase through the blown seal, instead if through the carb.