Few newbie questions

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi Oldpot-

I think you're heading in the right direction-

go on the cheap at first- because you may want to change stuff later- While I appreciate the sponsors here- and got my very first kit from one- I don't hesitate to buy from ebay- and have good results there- if something is wrong- they'll fix it-

after you're set up with a build, you may find it's the vendors that have the other parts you may want- ebay is fairly stock in that regard.

I have two builds, one is a Huffy, and I bought an identical Huffy frame last summer for only $10 on craigslist - just to have a spare- and it was there cheap- but now I've just about all the extra stuff I need to build that up too.

The one thing about your choice of bike might be that it's probably coaster brake- I personally like to build off of a freewheel hub in the back- I think it's easier to put a sprocket on- and some of them have a built in ridge there like it's just built for that- my first Micargi did-

but then again if it has brazed on cantilever brake fittings, you may be juggling the brakes later if you want anything but 26" wheels- because the cantilever pads usually don't raise enough for larger wheels.
I like 700 myself, but only because I like to get a really good road bike roll out of my motorized cruiser frames

I'd recommend a china girl off of ebay- you might want to get a motor with a big mount- so it might be best to query them- because a big mount is the easist and no adapter needed. I'm not sure if ANY of the other vendors have them yet.

From them on just find out what you like and don't like- I've always elininated the tensioner and it typically seems a source of noobie angst-

Get a good chain splitter right off too- the one at boygofast and luckyyearlybird is solid.

good luck

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty maniac
well i was going to go with that kit but now i got a new problem before i even bought a kit, i am in Michigan and the law says up to 50cc can be legal and need a registration like a moped etc,, i did post another thread about that but i read you need proof of purchase of a kit with other things, i don't see a lot of 49cc kits i like (one from bgf but i heard hes dodgy with his stuff)i know the 49cc and 80cc engine looks the same and hard to tell them apart if i ever got pulled up , but i am trying to figure out how i can get a 80cc one and get a recipe that says 49cc on it .would the venders do that ?.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
We have the same engine size law here in Ga. that's why I have 48cc engines, if you do a little tuning they run real good. I can cruise at 26 mph fairly easy. I don't know how that compares to a 66cc tho. In Ga. under 50cc and as long as you wear a dot approved helmet you can ride just about anywhere. Both of the bikes below are 48cc, the black bike is a grubee the silver a bgf.

http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=259&pictureid=3773

Last edited:

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
Ty Greg nice bikes you got , where did you get the black one ???, looks like i get a 49cc one just looking for a cheap one i don't want to go with bfg but i might have to how does it run up hills (i got a 500yd hill to go up most days when i get bike sorted?) .
few venders on here the 49cc cost more then the 80cc kits hows that, and apart from the engine size are all the other stuff in the kits the same ?.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The black bike is a o /p beach cruiser, all aluminum. I have had it for a couple of years and the frame has not had any problems. The silver bike has the bgf engine, its on a cranbrook steel frame. They run just about the same, but the lighter weight of the o /p gives better hill climbing. When you order a kit a 44 tooth rear sprocket will help hill climbing, some of the bgf kits list a 41 tooth sprocket.

Last edited:

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I've been researching this a lot myself and in about a month I'm going to go the Thats Dax kit. it does cost a little more then many of the others but Ive talked to Duane and he let me know that they go through the engines and replace all the hardware with grade A stuff. for my first build I dont want to tear into the engine at least not at first so that is why Im going with the kit from Duane it will save me time and stop me from having to run all over town to get better bolts ect.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I've been researching this a lot myself and in about a month I'm going to go the Thats Dax kit. it does cost a little more then many of the others but Ive talked to Duane and he let me know that they go through the engines and replace all the hardware with grade A stuff. for my first build I don't want to tear into the engine at least not at first so that is why I'm going with the kit from Duane it will save me time and stop me from having to run all over town to get better bolts ect.
Congrats on doing your homework and deciding to buy from a forum vendor! That said, I just looked at thats Dax website and was kinda surprised to see the "Made in USA" sticker on their picture of the china 2-stroke kit they are selling? Not sure why they would do that, maybe to indicate it had been broken down and re-assembled in the USA? The kit certainly wasn't made in USA. Reading their specs page I don't see "upgraded studs and hardware" specifically listed, what they do list for the motor is pretty much what I got on the last Grubee I bought, "roller bearing at wrist pin with oil holes", "ball bearing idler pulley" both came standard, the chrome exhaust, throttle, 415 chain and longer cables seem to be upgrades over cheaper kits. They also note "high performance carb", the picture looks like some version of the NT or Speed carb, which will be easier to work with for a newbie than the CNS I got with my last Grubee kit.

It doesn't seem to say directly on their 2-stroke kit web page that the motor was broken down, cleaned up and reassembled with upgraded hardware, if they are really doing that then it's certainly worth the extra $$ for their kit (specially for a newbie or someone that doesn't want to wrench on their motor). I guess that is what he told you on the phone, but you would think upgraded hardware would be worth a mention on their specs page? As for the hardware, SickBikeParts.com sells nice upgrade kits for the studs for a reasonable price in case you end up needing them. I bought from them to avoid doing all the leg work you were talking about and was very happy with the hardware they sold me and their service was excellent.

Good luck with your build and hope to hear good things about your DAX kit...

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
That said, I just looked at thats Dax website and was kinda surprised to see the "Made in USA" sticker on their picture of the china 2-stroke kit they are selling? Not sure why they would do that, maybe to indicate it had been broken down and re-assembled in the USA?
from what he told me that is the reason that it has the made in USA on it. I kind of had better then a phone convo with him I talked to him on skype where I have everything in print lol so I can reread it at any time. I know how to tear into a motor and rework heads etc so if I tore into a new motor Id be to tempted to get a dermal and start trying to hop it up long before it was broke in lol. another reason I picked dax is everyone Ive talked to that has used his kits gave high recommendations.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
It doesn't seem to say directly on their 2-stroke kit web page that the motor was broken down, cleaned up and reassembled with upgraded hardware, if they are really doing that then it's certainly worth the extra $$ for their kit (specially for a newbie or someone that doesn't want to wrench on their motor). I guess that is what he told you on the phone, but you would think upgraded hardware would be worth a mention on their specs page?
yes i was thinking the same , OK you saying that if i got a kit from dax that $90-100 more that few other i looked at with shipping,i would not need to buy any other thing to get the engine and bike working , and after a few days/weeks etc nothing will break off ,bend ,or stop working , ok you get 6 months warranty , as anyone got a dax kit and is the hardware upgraded etc and as good as they say as i would be interested if so.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
yes i was thinking the same , OK you saying that if i got a kit from dax that $90-100 more that few other i looked at with shipping,i would not need to buy any other thing to get the engine and bike working , and after a few days/weeks etc nothing will break off ,bend ,or stop working , ok you get 6 months warranty , as anyone got a dax kit and is the hardware upgraded etc and as good as they say as i would be interested if so.
Well, a lot of that depends on how you build your bike, even the best kit can fall apart if your build is poor. On the motor itself, a regular china girl kit right from china, the studs and bearing are the weakest links. There is a pretty good chance if you run into problems it will be with a stud or bearing or a problem caused by random debris left in the motor (or metal shards from poor casting/finishing breaking loose). So, if they do pull the motors apart and clean/inspect them, then build back with better bearings and studs that would be a nice step forward toward a better kit. I'm not 100% sure if all that is going to be done or not, like I said, you would think that would be put in writing on their spec page for their kit?

On the other stuff that comes with the kits, the Grubee kits I got had crappy chains that are bound to fail sooner than later if you weigh more than 100 lbs. I didn't care for the throttle either, plastic crap, I replaced that too cause it was really sloppy. The spark plugs that come with the kit are crap too, as well as the spark plug wire and boot. That said, I replaced all this stuff with nice quality parts for about $25. The chain and throttle on the DAX kits seem to be upgraded, though I am not sure if the upgraded parts would be good enough for me to hang on to or not? I like my metal mini bike throttle (hate the plastic crap) and went with #41 chain, which I am very happy with. The Grubee kit did come with a chain tensioner that had bearings, however, I run without a tensioner and love it that way. If you use your tensioner make sure you secure it well, one of the worst failures I read about with newbies is "my chain tensioner pulled into my spokes". I'm sure you can picture what that looks like, destroyed rear wheel and likely some kind of crash in which you may or may not injure yourself....

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ok ty nightcrusier for your input , i still looking for kit and bike i got a bike but due to both wheels not right i took it back now square 1 again ,

question does all cruiser bikes front end need a special mount for the as i reading alot of them do?? huffy and Schwinn ones i been looking at cranbrook, big daddy and de mar and few other schwinns ,i think with what i reading about kits that the front mount and back sprocket (grinding dust cap as i not got tools for that )might be only problem i would have well main probs hehe .

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I have the DelMar with a 4stroke. Got it used, no mods to the front forks on mine- no brakes tho! I posted some pics of the rear wheel in "The DUI cruiser. Operational..." in this section. I've had it at 26mph just like you see it. Works good so far.