MY BGF is a P.O.C.

GoldenMotor.com

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Yup, thats right, a big ole piece of you know whut...:-|| See what I get for trying to save some money?

Nice bike though, Firmstrong Urban 7 speed. The engine didn't have as much power as the Dax, so we ported & polished (it was badly needed).

Then it ran WORSE. I lightened up the oil mixture and it ran WORSE. I pulled the carb, jetted it out a little more, and it ran WORSE. Like it's starving for fuel

it goes put put sputter spatter. Changed the spark plug, no improvement. I may need to get a new engine.

Attachments

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Norm was working on turd polish for these least expensive motors around. I have one stock 48 cc slant head I got delivered for about $140.00 and it goes 25 mph but I won't try to eak out 30 mph from it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
To be honest... BGF, myself, or ANY OTHER dealer have no control over the quality of the engines that we sell!
We don't make them & there is no quality control in china!!!

Back when I first started, I bought several engines from BGF & other well known sellers... Most of the engines were fine & ran well, but it seemed like 1 out of every 5 engines needed a lot of TLC to get them to run good!

As far as how well the engines run, it's really just "luck of the draw" no matter who you buy your engine from!
(The quality of help that you get from a dealer IF you get a lemon is what sets the dealers apart!!!)

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, I just emailed Dax about a new motor. I really didn't like this tank & exhaust either. The tank had a hole in the weld where the fuel valve goes. We tried welding some more but the brass the chinese used kept running away. Finally had to JB weld it. We took the exhaust apart, it was funky weird.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
To be honest... BGF, myself, or ANY OTHER dealer have no control over the quality of the engines that we sell!
We don't make them & there is no quality control in china!!!

Back when I first started, I bought several engines from BGF & other well known sellers... Most of the engines were fine & ran well, but it seemed like 1 out of every 5 engines needed a lot of TLC to get them to run good!

As far as how well the engines run, it's really just "luck of the draw" no matter who you buy your engine from!
(The quality of help that you get from a dealer IF you get a lemon is what sets the dealers apart!!!)

That about says it all.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yup, thats right, a big ole piece of you know whut...:-|| See what I get for trying to save some money?

Nice bike though, Firmstrong Urban 7 speed. The engine didn't have as much power as the Dax, so we ported & polished (it was badly needed).

Did you break it in properly and give it ample time to be broken in before you opened it up to "improve" it?

Then it ran WORSE. I lightened up the oil mixture and it ran WORSE. I pulled the carb, jetted it out a little more, and it ran WORSE. Like it's starving for fuel.

Did you ever "read the plug" to get a baseline before you "made improvements"? Sounds like it's very rich. Lessening the oil and "jetting it out" both would agravate this problem. Have you check the float for proper operation?

it goes put put sputter spatter. Changed the spark plug, no improvement. I may need to get a new engine.
I doubt you'll need a new engine, unless you've buggered up the insides somehow.

Caus-I-Can

Sep 15, 2008
From the sounds of what u have described it could be a couple of things 1) carby jet blockage or size mite be to small now youve done the mods or neddle in float worn - not a perfect point (actually had this happen to me and engine would just not rev out) 2) cracked or broken spark plug lead( you'd be suprized how many times this gets expeirenced mechs. 3) exhaust mite not have correct resistence or lasty 5) check throttle cable to make sure opening butterfly/cylinder gate in carby fully

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
This is going to end up being my favorite engine. Although I'm quite perplexed about the low power, I'm having a lot of fun getting to tear this thing apart to find out what makes her tick. I sure don't watch very much TV anymore, I'll tell you that!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Indeed. You need a smaller jet, not larger.

You need to lose the stock spark plug wire. A new plug is fine but the stock cap on some kits is garbage.

I see you did some manifold porting, did you make new gaskets and match everything up?