New guy in Cali.

GoldenMotor.com

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Hello All, I'm new to the MB scene. I've seen a couple motorized bikes around my area and have always wondered how they built them. Recently I stumbled across a youtube video of someone installing an engine kit and so I did some googling and discovered this forum and now I'm hooked lol. Yesterday I found a beach cruiser on CL for $75 dollars, and today I picked it up. I'm not really knowledgable about bikes, all I know is that what I have is a beach cruiser called a Voyager from AMF. Tried to do some research on it but I haven't really found anything. And I don't know if the serial number can tell me anything important. I can't really go all out with the engine kit for this project, I have a small budget ($150 max) so I have some searching to do.

How she sits at the moment.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Welcome, your only problem (unless picking up a engine for little or nothing at all) is staying in the $150.00 range, just about impossible. Buying a kit for $150.00 today is remote, 2-3 years ago was common. A Chinese kit is about the cheapest way to go, unless you have a good mechanical ability and can build one. Best of luck. The last build, not counting the $100.00 for the bike was about $200.00, and that was over a year ago. This is what I built for the $200.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-80cc-Bi...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item41624148b4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-B...136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3372b8b6c8

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup, what Alf said.

And it's kinda hard defying the CARB here in Kalifornia, so it will be expensive getting chineese kitbike stuff here in Kalifornia.

With your budget I would get a cheep trimmer off cl and review the threads by Maurtis, A_dam, Deacon, and others to build a rack mount FD for that bicycle.

Best
rc

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Thanks the info everyone. I see that VeniceMotorBikes.com has a Grubee 66cc engine kit and ships within California. I'm just not sure if it's worth it or if I should just go with an ebay engine kit. I'm not skilled enough to build my own set up. But now I know that $150 for an engine kit is not really feasible. And thanks to C.A.R.B. not all kits are available.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here are my guidelinesfor building:

1) Predominant riding terrain.
2) Primary riders physique.
3) Lookup and read local legal requirements.
4) Type of bike.
5) Budget.

Stay within these guidelines and you'll have a bike you can enjoy riding. Good luck with your build. With these kits you get what you're willing to pay for.

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
Today, my brother and I upgraded the handlebars, and the seat. All of the new parts were ripped off an old mountain bike that has been sitting around for ages. We also installed a quick release seat post lock, and got the handlebar stem loosened up, and adjustable again. It had rust buildup that prevented it from adjusting. Now everything sits a little bit lower.

I'm going for the 'cafe racer' look.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
When u get moving at motor-assist speeds, and the front fender gets to flappin', there ain't nothing for it to do but crumple up into a jumbled mess, right up against your front fork.
In addition to the instant stop, you lose steering.
Double whammy!

a far sight worse than when the rear locks up from a dumb chain tensioner!

I would not run a front fender unless the supporting braces were special made for this application. And it would have to be a stout fender, with good clearance.

Best
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yah, I'm NOT happy abt gettin' old.
I'm getting conservative now.
I even THINK about safety.
Didn't used to be that way much...

and, I'm a PROUD member of the 20mph Club! :)

rc

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
It happens lol. I took the fenders off and the bike looks even better with out them so it's a win win.

Last edited: