Break-in oil

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
It seems everyone recommends synthetic oil for break-in and after. Its my understanding that synthetic oils prevent proper seating of new piston rings. I'm an old school 2 stroker and I love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning; smells like victory!rotfl I'm willing to use synthetic but I'm hesitant to break-in w/ it. Thanks!

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
That synthetic smells funny, don't it?!

I'm thinking of trying a blend with castor bean oil. But I can't help worrying that castor oil in the morning smells like punishment!

:-/

Brenton

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I've heard many things about breaking in an engine. Including using regular oil for the first 2 gallons of fuel then switching to synthetic. Perhaps the powers that be on the board could put together a definitive break in procedure thread and post it in the Classic section!

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
me and my girl use amsoil saber at the 20\1 mix during break in and the same after .the rings did great. use thatand you will be ok. i am 100% an amsoil fan.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That is an old wives tale. Use synthetic or "dino" for break in.

What is more important is that you vary the throttle amount and engine rpm a lot during the first 10 minutes to get the rings seated properly.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Wives tale? My wife doesn't tell stories about oil (sigh, Imagine a world), but engineers do and some manufacturers say not to use synthetic until after break-in. 10 minutes? Possibly 100 mi on this little motor, but when I bought a cylinder/piston kit for my Guzzi I was advised to vary my driving for 500 mi and a 1000 mi on my new car. Both of these motors have a lot more longevity but I have a hard time believing 10 minutes is enough.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Some engineers are women, and I imagine, a few of them might even be wives.

Shudder that thought of it -- a wife who's a professional engineer....

Anyway, THEY might be the source of these old mechanical engineering wives' tales.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've used synthetic oil from day one...not to mention all my dirt bikes, quads, ect. Never had a problem with the break-in using synthetic.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
im ashamed to admit it but i use which ever is cheapest. tought times gotta save every penny i can actually i was sitting at a stop sign and saw a quarted stuck in the black top and i took a screw driver out of my tool bag and pryed it out :oops:

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
I did the regular oil the first two gallons and then switched to synthetic. I am 383 miles later and this 49cc from Powerking has ran great the entire time.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I'm a certified mechanic (not that it means anything) and I use the practice of break-in with mineral based oils for some amount of time, (cars, motorcycles and motorbikes), for ring and other metal seating. (Not that I know anything)
Some years ago we tried break in on a motorcycle with synthetic and never could get the rings to seat resulting in a lot of leak-down. Just my experience.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Yah ok ya got me C'sfool, my wife and I both just busted out laughing after which my wife showed me (yes, showed me, for a minute and a half) how she checks her oil and studies the dipstick. Oscar, there are many schools of thought on frugality. Cost per mile is my measure w/ reduces w/ higher mileage. However, if you pry enough quarters from that hot Illinois asphalt you may just have me beat!rotfl

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have a hard time believing 10 minutes is enough.
The crucial part of ring sealing happens almost immediately when you first start a new or re-built engine. The first 10 minutes is a very important time on these china engines, then next 200 miles almost as important for break-in.

Do you have a hard time believing that you should run these engines fairly hard during break in also?

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Bikeguy Joe I don't at all have a hard time believing in some hard running during break in. The worst thing you can do is hold it wide open constantly followed by the close 2nd going constantly any other speed. You want to run it through its range varying the load regularly. I think I get and agree w/ what your saying about the 10 min. You want to start it up and run it for 10 min or so making sure to warm it up to operating temp running it through the rpms a bit w/o steadying at any speed and w/o over reving ( and not under load). That will get the rings started seating to the crosshatch in the cylinder.

But heres the skinny. I think that Ol' MC is right I think that synthetic is too viscous to allow the necessary abrasive action of ring seating. In 4 strokes wouldn't blow-by taint your oil at the very least causing it to go acidic? And much the same in 2 strokes? That in addition to lower compression. Don't Know fo sho about the synth but I know that petro works. So possibly the negitive results not necessarily noticed but perhaps subtly percieved. :ride:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Most importantly don't seize it up, though, I find that my vehicles run better if I at least stand back and stare in amazement fairly regularly and don't forget to say nice things about them w/ in hearing distance or polish the gas cap every time you walk by.(^)

I got my seat from Spooky Tooth today and I'm quite pleased it's the Brookes style one. Just hope it doesn't bleed brown on my bum if it gets wet.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Ty',

I've ordered a real Brooke's seat, disappointed with my spooky seat.

You must be a Canadian living in Seattle, ey! I've never heard an American say "bum" in place of "butt".

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I'm sure the brookes seat is worlds nicer @ $200ish it better be. That is the direction I'm heading (fine quality). This 1st build is purposely an econo build. Funny I'm an Oregonian, origionally, who says soda instead of pop and just found out the rest of the English speaking world says argue and I say areyou. But in this case I quickly came up w/ bum in place of the "A" starting alternative.