good ways to lock my bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Aymen95

Aug 10, 2011
california
im gnna buy a motorized beach cruiseer within a couple days and i wanna be able to lock it up and go into store and see it there when i get out what are the best locks and ways to lock so that they cant steal anything from my bike like the motor or my bike in general i live in ghetto los angeles and ive had my bike stolen before from a cheap lock so let me know what i should do,thanks

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Don't get a lock expecting it to not get stolen - expect your lock to slow someone down.

What works well is anchor chain and 2-3 locks. For every pass around the bike rack and the bike, put a lock on it.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
i agree... locks don't stop thieves... it just makes it more challenging for them... but guns do stop thieves to some effect...

Usually, i try to find a secured place to lock a bike... Either many people are there or no people at all... location, location, location...

anything and everything can get stolen, but it's the part that 'will they get away with it?' is the question...

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I gathered a pair of handcuffs from the scrapyard a few days ago, for entertainment. they been cut open, and of course, no key. gotta refurbish em.

Ditto with above...

I may use em for entertainment value.

Park yer bike right out in front so EVERYONE can see it, that way there might at least be a witness to who stole it !

Best
rc

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've always found that the best place to lock our bikes is right next to the front door of whatever place we're going into! It's harder for someone to steal them while there's lots of foot traffic going past!! ;)

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Don't get a lock expecting it to not get stolen - expect your lock to slow someone down.

What works well is anchor chain and 2-3 locks. For every pass around the bike rack and the bike, put a lock on it.
This is the best advice I've heard yet. I think I'm gonna do this.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
There are times when I just park in a parking space - when I do that I just lock up from in front of the seat post and through the back tire and both chains. You can't remove the wheel. It's also a pretty solid way to chain to a bike rack if you park it backwards.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
anybody got one of those big steel wheel clamps parking enforcement puts on car wheels???

lol
rc
You mean a boot? I guess you could try one, but what if you come out of the store and your bike is being towed by mistake - cause it's wearing a boot? How ya gonna explain to Mr. Tow Truck Driver that you bought a boot without sounding like you're from Canada, eh?