Can we ride in the rain?

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Sorry if this has been asked before, but,

Besides safety issues, can we ride in the rain?

I am just wondering if the exposed motor can take the water.

The wires should be sealed up pretty good with heatshrink tube.

Will engines run in the rain or is that bad for them?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I little bit of rain will not hurt these motors. Do consider sealing up the Magneto cover up good tho. At the grommet where the wires come out put some Gasket Maker grade silicone like Permatex brand and have a gasket on the cover. These motors don't like the Magneto to be wet. They will rust out easy there too as well as at the clutch cover as well.

Of coarse it is a two stroke ridiculously heavy down poor rain can in a sense starve the cylinder/piston bore of oil in turn scoring it.

The clutch gears need a small dab of axle bearing grease put on them periodically. Not a lot! The clutch actuator rod on the left side of the motor needs periodic greasing as well axle grease on both side of the rod and adjacent parts. Do be carefull not to have the little bearing roll out behind the actuator rod when taking it apart!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

If it's an electric bike, I wouldn't do it in a thunderstorm.rotfl

nvmextc

Dec 10, 2010
Sydney
My magneto had flooded even though I thought the grommet was sealed. The problem is the magneto area is hard to seal, even if u block the hole with silicone when the engine gets moving pressure will blow it out.
Also you can't run without an air filter in the rain (probably common sense)
I made a bashplate to prevent water getting near the magneto, and have ridden in heavy rain day after day for weeks with no engine troubles :)

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww62/nvme_xtc/P1000791.jpg

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
That plate is cool. So is it just to prevent rain while riding (so that with speed, the rain in front doesn't slip in?)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes, but you'll get wet.

Take the advice given about sealing the magneto cover. You'll also want to assure that water can't get to the high voltage lead at the CDI. A silicone sealer will stop that.
If you have a rear fender that will keep water from entering the carburetor then you should be good to go. I've ridden in a Colorado downpour that would do justice to a Florida toad thumper and never had a misfire. Use common sense with speed and cornerning and you won't have any problems. Good luck, ride careful.
Tom

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
So basically (I don't know much about engines, yet)
I just have to protect the electrical parts of the engine. If rain gets on the outside it should be fine?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Sure, if you don't mind getting wet. I've got a full Gortex suit for when it's really wet out.....it works pretty well. The hardest part is being able to see with the rain pelting your eyes when eye glasses fail to shed water.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Funny, I was just reading this thread earlier and a little while later went for a ride. I got caught in a downpour and was trying to get home before I got soaked to the skin. What I found out was that streets get slick very fast and your stopping distance can increase before you know it. I was coming down a street, downhill toward a stop sign and when I applied brakes my rear wheel skidded. Something it's never done on dry pavement. Fortunately I didn't touch my front brakes which are discs.

So, yes, you can ride in the rain, just be aware that bike tires will loose traction on wet streets. Be careful.
Tom