engine mounts and offsets

GoldenMotor.com

hayneseeee

Jan 15, 2010
punta gorda,fl
Hi from sunny Punta Gorda FL working on my first build. I'm mounting the GrubeeGT5 on a Micargi Pantera. Right off the bat my chain is too close to the tire(2.125). I am using a Creative Eng sprocket on the rear wheel. Questions 1) has anyone used the engine mounts by AMPT with the 3/8 or 5/8 offset? They are pricey but after viewing all the other set ups on all your posts it would cost just as much to have something made. 2) where do you measure your two sprockets to see how they align. I used a square and measured from the sprockets on the pedal chain side. 3)What is a Felt frame? I enjoy reading all the posts it is helpful for us newbees? Hopefully I'll get alot of your good advice on your replies. THANKS

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The best way to align the drive and driven sprockets on a chain drive is to view down the length of the chain. Lateral misalignment can easily be seen.
I personally have no experience with the offset mounts so I can't comment.
A Felt, is a brand of bicycle. A high end Chinese import.
Tom

hayneseeee

Jan 15, 2010
punta gorda,fl
Thanks for both replies. I did eyeball it but am trying to get within 1/8 inch.Coming off the pedal side got me there. Biknut, what or where is the hub adapter?The tire end is set. The clutch end needs to come out about 3/8 inch.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You said you have a "Creative Engineering sprocket". What does the sprocket mount to? Typically Jim's sprockets mount to his hub adapter which is a machined aluminum part that clamps around the rear hub onto which the sprocket mounts. They can be positioned side-to-side on the hub to help with chain alignment.
As for your wish to keep the chain within 1/8" of true, that's good, but not absolutely necessary. 1/4 to 3/8" misalignment is okay and shouldn't cause you any trouble. If you are using a chain tensioner it needs to be aligned with the rear sprocket to keep the chain path correct where the chain 'enters' or engages the rear sprocket.
Hope this helps and answers your questions.
Tom

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
You can dish the rear wheel 1/8'' fairly easily. Measure your tire to frame clearance on the left side. Loosen all the spokes on the left a couple of turns. Then tighten all the spokes on the right a couple of turns. Re-measure your clearance and see if it moved over enough. It worked for me and the bike still tracked nice and straight.