Projecto Uno...

GoldenMotor.com

Phildo

Mar 28, 2010
New Zealand
Well im a bit slow at getting things up but found a few pictures that ill put up of the first project.

Built within a week the BMX was to be entered in the mopedathon - a 6 hour endurance race limited to 50cc bikes of any kind. The motor was simply strapped to the BMX and ridden for approx 5 hours straight, due to issues with the the spark plug cap destroying itself.

Got up to 45kmph down the back straight and was faster around the corners than the RJ50's but as soon as they changed gears they took off on the straights. Pedalling and accelerating out of the corners was a bit dodgy when it would start to wheel stand, but was good for showing off past the finish line.

Next project, which is currently underway for the next mopedathon, will be a BMX cut frame to fit the engine between the legs, with a shifter kit and either an in hub rear 3 speed or derailier to get up to around 60kmph.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum Phildo, glad you joined us.

Thats the first rear mount BMX bike I have seen with the Chinese motor, very cool! .wee.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
that is nice looking,(secure your chain,wheel guide(Tentioner) to the lower chain stay as well as the top to avoid it turning into the spokes and wiping out the wheel)

Phildo

Mar 28, 2010
New Zealand
Yeah did that to the idler after it started to come loose, put a plate from it over the black rod mount. Had to secure the fuel tank on better since the other driver came off during the race and bent it over. Also vibrated the **** out of the seat which wasn't too...err.. comfortable, so got a gel seat cover which took up most of it.

So pretty simple for anyone to put together.. just had to:
-modify the idler to suit
-cut up a bike parcel tray for the two rod engine mounts at the back which i bent over at the top and clamp under the original clamp extension (and attach stabilizing bracket)
-mount the clamps on an angle on the seat pole with small tube bits cut on the angle
-mount the fuel tank on stilts for gravity feed
-cut the inlet runner so carb is horizontal

Attachments

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
Thats a cool bike! I've heard that New Zealand is the true "Gods Country", with lots of pretty & tall dutch grils alwayse smiling at you!. Maybe next year they will make the compition 100cc or less.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's very clever, Mate. You New Zealanders do like to race, don't you! Burt Monroe remains a hero to me (World's Fastest Indian). Welcome to the forum...
SB

Phildo

Mar 28, 2010
New Zealand
Haha not many Dutch girls here, thats "Zealand" up in Europe, im from "New Zealand" in the South Pacific, i.e. Lord of the Rings, Flight of the Conchords, yeah and Burt Monroe (also John Britten, Bruce Maclaren, Scott Dixon and plenty more).. we are pretty crazy about our racing.

Fuel tank mounted like that for gravity fuel feed to the float chamber. Thought about going exhaust pressurised tank or electric fuel pump but couldnt be bothered. Its all in pieces now anyway ready for version 2.0 and engine will be well below the tank so no need for the stilts.