Blow By U First Production Build Felt Twin

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think this is a great how-to series helping out those who are going to try to emulate what you are doing, but it is also very good for the person who is buyiny the bike from you so they understand what has gone into transforming it into a motorbicycle. Great Idea, Terry. I wasn't all that familiar with the Felt bike, being a vintage bike guy, but it looks like a really nice frame. I love the idea of the top tube gas tank and think the POR 15 will do the trick as it is great stuff I've used to keep an old Suzuki Samurai alive.
SB

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Thank you
There are a few I should have done it this way in the videos. Like I should have cut all those stupid bolts to the right length first. And the I should have pre-drilled the fender and brackets. that would have made the videos much more watchable. Aside from that I am happy with the videos they are fun to make I am learning more about making them I will be posting the assembly of the HD rear axle tonight. Once that is done then it is on to the top tube tank.
Thank you for watching
Terry

Last edited:

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
I have edited the original tapping of the top tube it shows the work being done and is now with the original post drilling and tapping the top tube please have a look it will fill in the gap that was there. It is on page 2
Cheers
Terry

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
I am going to hold off on the assembling of the HD rear axle until I am ready to install it on the bike and then I can use it as an installation of an HD axle kit for more that just this post. But it wont be long as soon as I have the top tube sealed I am going to do the HD axle next and the re-install the front end one right after the other.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
LOL patients my Young padiwan patients LOL

I just finished filming the rest of the tank videos last night I have some editing to do and I will be posting it in the next few days and I was a little more work than originally thought but it is all done and I will be assembling the bike soon

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Here are the next steps
I have to say that I am sorry when I was editing the videos I lost the part where I show what was done to the section where the top tank meets the bottom tube. It had to be ground out for access where it was not welded I do show where I put the sealing putty. I have put all the top tube tank vids in this one post but they can be found in earlier and later posts I just wanted them to be all together.
I also lost the part where I drilled access to similar issue behind the seat post tube but I do show the putty plugging the un welded spot.
YouTube - Felt Twin Drill & Tap Top Tube Edited
YouTube - Felt Twin Top Tube Fuel Tank
YouTube - Felt Twin Top Fuel Tank Part 2
YouTube - Felt Twin Top Fuel Tank Part 3
YouTube - Felt Twin Top Fuel Tank Part 4
YouTube - Felt Twin Top Fuel Tank Part 5
YouTube - Felt Twin Top Fuel Tank Part 6
YouTube - Felt Twin Top Fuel Tank Part 7
YouTube - Felt Twin Top Fuel Tank Part 8

Last edited:

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Terry,

This is the best tutorial I seen on making the top tube useable. I thinking of tackling the MP and using the "hidden" tank as additional fuel supply.

Looking forward to seeing the Grubee axle install; since I don't believe we will be seeing our adapter/sprocket setups anytime soon. Frustrated that I can't ride my MP, because I need that dang setup.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Thank you my friend
I am uploading Videos to youtube as we speak will be working on pressurizing the tank tonight
I have been thinking the same thing I hate to loose the 3 speed but I want to ride my bike

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Terry,

Rather ride than wait to use my 3 speed set-up. Maybe SBP will perefect a shift kit for the 4G HS someday soon and we can use our 3 speeds.

I was really counting on Jim making us the sprocket/adapter setup; can't help but think we have been forgotten (been waiting since late Feb.).

You are smart using the single speed Felt's and avoid this problem. If I had to do it all over again I would have used the Chief or 1903 for my first build.

Cheers,

Steve

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
I just found this thread =) I just put an order in for a felt twin. Gonna do the same thing except a different engine. I look forward to the finished product Terry!

Cheers

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Wow Magicalpancake that is the coolest thing I have any one has said to me since I have started posting here in the forum. This is what I wanted for people to learn you made my day. Now here are some more videos

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Last edited:

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
I've been watching the videos on youtube since you started posting them. Even learned a couple things myself. I appreciate your efforts and your MP is an inspiration.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Hey magicalpancake I was just sit and watching TV and you poped into my head and my thought was I got a email from Justin @ Pirate cycles telling me about his new product it is a chain idler it almost exactly the same as the Ridley one but black and since your going to get a ridley filler neck the best place to go is to Justin and get the tensioner as well. And if you do tell him I sent you I'm sure he will get a kick out of that
Cheers
Terry

Last edited:

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
I have one more thing to say about this drill and tap issue when you are tapping a hole in steel with the metal thick enough the tap will bind in the metal at that point you have to turn the tap back wards before you can go for-wards again if you do not you will break the tap. If how every your tapping and the tap dose not bind you will not need to reverse your tap. Witch is the very thing that happened with the Felt Twins top tube now an experienced person that has lots of experience with type of skill will tell you the same thing.