What should I stay away from?

GoldenMotor.com

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Well I have decided that I want to put a motor on my bike, but there are just so many motors and company's out there I don't know who to buy from. Prices vary from $99-250, and not sure as to what the difference is, they all look the same. The bike that it will be going on is a old Schwinn Phantom, I have noticed that I may need some kind of extension to get the motor on properly, also is there a kit that will completely be a bolt on made for my bike, where do I find it because most people that list there engines say "fit most bikes". I don't want to wait to receive the motor and find out that I don't have the proper stuff to get it on the bike. So any help is a appreciated and for reference....

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
From information that I've been able to dig up, there is only two
factories in China that build these engines. So, knowing that, I would suggest buying from one of our vendors that have a positive history
of sales, service, response and reliability. You need to plan on several
days of frustrating installation issues, and be competent with hand tools.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
SHWEET BIKE FISHERMAN!!!!

Like you, I was trying to make wise decisions about where I spent my money. Knowing what I know now, there are a few things that I would have done differently, but not many. Starting with a good bike is one of the keys. By the looks of it, you're already there.

when it came time to buy an engine, I came to the conclusion that it's pretty much a craps shoot and I was right. If you start with a company with a good reputation, it helps. Customer service is key. I bought several engines from Gas Bike. net and, while I've never gotten what I paid for, I've never gotten less either. If that makes any sense. Even "buying the better engine kit", we've still had a few things that needed addressing. These were all 2-stroke kits by the way. Now I see that Gas bike has a 4-stroke kit for under $200 (on sale now). I'm tempted to try one of them and, with a nice bike like yours, it would make for a great ride, unless you're going for that "looks like a motorcycle engine in there" kind of thing. That's why I've got 2-strokers.

The best thing I could say is figure out what you want to do with your bike so far as any other modifications and do them, while you research which engine kit is best for you. I changed my bike drastically while I was trying to decide which engine kit to buy. Now, I've got a bike that I love to ride and I'm happy with the engine kit that I've got on it. I hope this helps.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
To answer the question that is the name of this thread; Stay away from the cheap, ebay sellers of engine kits and parts. Too many of them have no connection with the motorized bicycle industry or hobby and might not be there if and when you need customer support. When it comes time to purchase the engine kit, either 2 or 4 stroke, check the many sponsors you see advertising on this forum. They all have good reputations for after sale support and quality products. And, sorry, no, I won't trade my car for your Schwinn even though its a lovely old bike :)
Tom

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
that's a great looking bike, i can only recommend the person i bought my motor from.
Norm @ Venice Motor Bikes
cool guy and he's just down the road from you so you won't have to wait for shipping.
drive over and pick it upthrow it on the bike and be riding in less time then it would take to have a engine shipped to you.
Some peeps are just born lucky..trlrl.