exhaust keeps braking,ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
i totaled my bike 3 weeks ago and it bent and broke my exhaust pipe and dented in my muffler. so i heated up the bends and got the angle somewhat back and took the big dents out of the muffler, but the more i rode the more the more the nuts kept backing off the flange on the head, and then the pipe started cracking along one of the bends, so i took my mig welder and went as low on the heat as i could and covered the crack in a desperate attempt to seal it. then above the weld a new crack and another patch job,then below the first weld another crack....and on and on as i fixed them and rode some more a new one would pop up.then today,i went for a 20 mile ride and in the middle of it the pipe cracked again in another different spot only this time all the way thru and separated the muffler from the pipe.

is there anyway to repair this pipe without replacing it,i think the muffler is still good and this may give me the chance to build my own straight pipe with the muffler on the end.

what materials do you need to make an decent exhaust system on these bikes,all i have is a mig welder. any thoughts that avoid having to buy a new one would be appreciated.thanks!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Jus a question...

If a new stock one is like $20 and a tuned pipe setup starts at $50 - why put that much effort into cobbing the old one?

Although you could save your old exhaust flange, get some piping of the correct diameter, pack w/sand, tack caps on, bend to suit, cut to length, weld flange on, weld muffler on, paint, and mount...

I think just the pipe could cost close to a stock replacement, let alone the effort... unless ofc you want "custom" and/or yer scrounge abilities are mighty ;) ...you have by far the most important "material" lol - MIG welders are ossum :D

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pipes aren't that difficult to fabricate. 3/4" electrical conduit, called EMT, works. You just need a bender, available almost anywhere, Sears, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. Instead of a flanged end I used an explosion proof, or, hazardous location, electrical fitting. It screws together and has a gasket between the male and female ends. I welded the male end to a flange for the cylinder port. You already have a wire feed welder so the hardest part for you will be bending the right angles so everything clears. EMT is cheap so if you mess up you're not out much on materials. Pipes are sort of fun to design and build. The high performance guys won't like the one pictured below but the bike performs adequately for me. Its very quiet too.
Tom

Attachments

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Pipes aren't that difficult to fabricate. 3/4" electrical conduit, called EMT, works. You just need a bender, available almost anywhere, Sears, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. Instead of a flanged end I used an explosion proof, or, hazardous location, electrical fitting. It screws together and has a gasket between the male and female ends. I welded the male end to a flange for the cylinder port. You already have a wire feed welder so the hardest part for you will be bending the right angles so everything clears. EMT is cheap so if you mess up you're not out much on materials. Pipes are sort of fun to design and build. The high performance guys won't like the one pictured below but the bike performs adequately for me. Its very quiet too.
Tom

thanks, i think thats what im gonna try, i just dont have to much time left in the season to ride before the weather turns crappy here in chicago other wise id wait the 5 days for shipping on a new one,im just eager to get back out on the road before its to wet or cold to ride.

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen
dude love the chain tensioner nice idea the tanks nice too but it looks like the petcock doesent go to the lowest point of the tank doyou get alot of gas left in there and is that conduit on there and if so howdid you get it so shiny all and all i like the bike good job dude

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
dude love the chain tensioner nice idea the tanks nice too but it looks like the petcock doesent go to the lowest point of the tank doyou get alot of gas left in there and is that conduit on there and if so howdid you get it so shiny all and all i like the bike good job dude
Sky,
There is a little less than a quart of unusable fuel because of the forwarde tilt to the tank. I had to do it that way to keep the look I wanted. The tank holds one and a quarter gallon so there's plenty. Conduit is galvanized and will take a good polish on a buffing wheel with some emory compound. After a couple of weeks it will start to dull and then I hit it with some NeverDull to bring the shine back. This bike isn't painted yet. I'm just riding it to see how it does before I blow it apart for paint. Will be brown and beige. Thanks, glad you like it.
Tom