Bicycle question..

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay so I cobble bikes from other bikes.

The big fat mountain bike is gone, well most of it some parts live on. So that brings up this question.

I bought a nice 26" cruiser previously the new electo, but I decided to get it ready for gas. The front wheel wobbled, the spokes were loose I'm sure but I had this really good wheel and tire from the fat a**sed mtb. So I just switched it.

The cruiser had a 1.75 tire, the fa mtb had a 2.125 tire. So now the bike has a skinny rear tire and a fat front tire. I saved the tire and tube from the rear of the fa mtb. I am going to switch them next week. My question is, should I switch the tubes as well since I'm sure it's a skinny tube.

Or can I just change out the tire and leave the tube alone. reason i ask is I know the tube in the skinny wheel is good, seems the fa tube leaked once upon a time. It doesn't seem to now but I don't want to take that wheel off and on too many times.

So will the 175 tube stretch enough or do I need to just pull it and save it for the tire if I use it somewhere else later.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Use what works best for you on the tubes. I dust the inside of a tire with talc powder/baby powder coat the tube with it. This helps lube both and lessens the chance of binds and pinching causing a hole.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Most tubes have a range, if your going from 1.175 to 2.125 you should be fine. I personally would go with whichever was the thicker/heavier tube. I am also not a tube patcher, if a tube has a leak in it, it becomes shim matierial and a new tube goes on the bike...Kelly

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I agree kelly, I never had one bit of luck patching a tube. I have patched two so far and both leaked again within a day. It is not worth four bucks for me to fight taking off a tire a second time.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I think a flat is just about the worst possible scenario to be in (can't even pedal home). If I were in doubt about the tubes I would definately replace the one in question (or both) while I had it off the bike. I use the "Extra-Thick Slime Tubes" (10.00 at Wally World) on the stretch cruiser. 500+ miles so far.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
They only have two tube types at my wally mart... One is no slime, one is regular slime. I don't ride far yet so I have been running no slime. If I were going more than two miles from home on yeah I would put in some regular fix a flat tire inflater foam in then top it off with air to the right pressure. That always seems to do good for me. I think I'm going to check the big tube for leaks in a water bath, then if it is good, I'm going to replace the tube in the wheel now. I know the other one is large enough.

I didn't want to go to all that trouble but you are right, way do it twice when I hate it so much. Of course sometimes they just go right on. Especially if they have been on the wheel before.