Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Will the Tadpole be up on a center stand to pedal to start? I was thinking it is maybe too big to be easy enough to lift and have a center stand and how would it be stable enough?

I am pretty sure I understand the clutch with hand lever action is the same as before, just that the engine when pedal started will make the pedal freewheel so the faster running engine does not spin the pedals. Hense the special bearings added to modify the clutch.

Bump starting by holding in the clutch and letting it out to start the engine when going at a slow pedal rate across the ground is the way it will be started?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve I've been a fan of the 3D clutch since go and now seeing Pat D. and yourself using it along with others is validation to my original enthusiasm. My dislike of cent. clutch goes way back to scooter and karting days and now the good ones are so expensive. For the first time I'm thinking of building a 4 stroke clone with the 3D clutch because I won't have to pull start the darned thing. I'm addicted to pedal start tech lol. I really don't even like the kick start option on my 5 speed Honda clone Simplex and Harley bikes though they work well. I really like to pedal and putt away and it always brings smiles to those who watch and the Old guy as well.

Steve the two tri cars are really going to be awesome! Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thanks Rick. I've found my enthusiasm once again. It was hiding behind the couch all this time. Of course I only found it because I was looking for loose change. I really can't wait to get the tri cars going to see what we have built. I also can't wait to see what kind of havoc seeing two old guys riding around on tri cars does to the public.

The great part is that they are visually different from each other so it's not like seeing the same thing twice. The 3D clutch is going to make the difference for the Indian tri car. Solved a major problem.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'm back. Nothing photo worthy for a day or two. Engine needs to come out and get cleaned up and the frame needs paint touching up as well as the seat and chain stays need painting since they were replaced.

The rolling table makes it so much easier to work on it and I can roll the whole thing outside now to get decent photos.

Onward

Steve.

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/sp...uild/DSC_0004_zpsafjc1sbl.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The frame was too far gone for touch up paint so it was scuff it and repaint it. I'll push the work table out into the sun tomorrow and when it put back together I'll get some photos.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Took until today to get the tri car out and work on it. Got the faux battery holder and coil box on yesterday and the bike frame back on the tri car front end. Today I got the motor mounted and the exhaust adjusted so it cleared everything.

The clutch slid into place perfectly. The mount for the A shaped piece of metal in the photos will be inside the chain cover. This will stop the throw out bearing from turning and preventing the clutch from operating.

I'll be working on the mounts for the engine chain cover and finishing up the gas and oil tanks. I purchased a rear kick stand from eBay and it should be here in a week or so. It looked very much like the original ones from that era though I don't know if Indian used one originally.

All the neighbours are trying to figure out just what I'm building. A lot of people have moved in over the past couple of years or so since I had to stop working on the bike because of my health. They are walking by and the folks across the street keep glancing over as they gardening but they don't want to appear nosy. Just a lot of fun.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/...r Build/DSC_0011_zpscempphr8.jpg?t=1495936943

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you Rick. It is getting to be fun now now knowing the worst of the figuring things out is over. When I was working on it yesterday I would look it over and see things that needed to be changed to where they should be. When I was putting something together I probably saw something else that needed doing and when I got back I forgot how I was putting it together.

Added to that is finding the parts I put away when I cleaned up the work area when I built the work bench. It may not be fun getting old but it sure is interesting.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I ordered a rear mount kick stand for the tri car from China. Free shipping but a month or more to get to Canada. For $8 the shipping time was cut down a little. I emailed the company and a couple of hours later I received a reply that $15 more over the free shipping cost would get it here in a week to two weeks. Done deal.

I ordered it on May 27th and paid the extra $15 the same day with a Pay Pal invoice. It was delivered this morning May 30th by the Canada Post Office. The packaging was excellent.

It is built like a bridge with riveted construction. I don't think that there is any danger of collapsing even with me on it and it fits the bike build era perfectly. The return springs are strong so I don't think it will drop down while riding.

Steve.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-28-B...439770?hash=item2a7ae4c65a:g:8AMAAOSw~AVYnWf9

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
So pedal start with the rear wheel off the ground can be possible with the seat up front without anyone sitting in it. I would probably hurt my back if it were very much weight. I was thinking maybe to lift it some kind of mechanism with leverage to make it easier if necessary. Kudos... the Tadpole is gaining weight... haha... one day it will be a Frog:)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi MT,

The ad said the kickstand was for 28" wheels. Like the old motorcycles I had years ago with rear kickstands you just have to let the stand rest on the ground and put your foot behind it as you pushed or pulled the bike up onto it. The kickstand arms come to rest on the part that mounts to the bike and then you push a locking mechanism down that holds everything in place.

The spring on one side pulls the lock on and holds it in place and I doubt that anything a person would do when starting the bike would cause the lock to release until it was manually released. The weight is about 4-1/2 pounds. It won't interfere with the front seat at all when the wheel is raised up.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Like a motorcycle center stand I guess, so that is a leverage of sorts. I would rock forward and then backward and at the same time as it rolls back I push the tab for the center stand and it levers back and pushes up into place. That was a triple Kawasaki 350 two stroke road bike.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I finally got a chance to get some photos of the kickstand between the rain showers. Comments are on the bottom of the photos.The measurements are.

Bottom where is sits on the ground.
11"
Height to the center of the axle hole.
15-1/8"
Arm that attaches to chain stay.
6"
Space for axle.
5"

If your looking for a solid vintage style rear kickstand I feel this is an excellent choice.

Steve

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/speedydick/media/Indian Tri-car Build/DSC_0008_zpswu2pmmbv.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
It
I finally got a chance to get some photos of the kickstand between the rain showers. Comments are on the bottom of the photos.The measurements are.

Bottom where is sits on the ground.
11"
Height to the center of the axle hole.
15-1/8"
Arm that attaches to chain stay.
6"
Space for axle.
5"

If your looking for a solid vintage style rear kickstand I feel this is an excellent choice.

Steve

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/speedydick/media/Indian Tri-car Build/DSC_0008_zpswu2pmmbv.jp