what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Wow, those bike stands are pricey! After using some stacked 2x4 cutoff a couple of times I put this together. If there was any real weight on it, I'd put straps or something between the legs. But it works good with deck screws holding it together.

edit- Looking awesome Holden!

Attachments

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Today I swapped out the stock fuel line on the secod bike to the NAPA 3/16" line, and then we went for a ride. We were out for around 5 hours or so. Went a fair distance, over 25 km round trip but it was with a fair bit of traffic so we weren't going very fast. Plus the outbound trip was mostly uphill, great for the 48T sprocket, a bit of work for me on the 36T.

The final destination today was a shop called The Bike Doctor. I was out for dual brake levers, and got a couple, but while I was there I was busier answering questions for people and so on. Customers and the store's owner and staff were all over our two bikes, and unlike the shop with attitude problems, they were all grinning and loved them. (No one wanted to ride, nor would I let them, busy street). I know where my money's going now when I need more professional bike help. (^)
However, while there I asked about stands. They can order in a few different types, but they had a small one there that I picked up. They will take internet orders, I asked. There's a couple of pics below, click here for a gallery of the thing.
Looking at it, it would be pretty easy to make something like this, the base could be made from a pair of old handlebars, and someone clever with a welder shouldn't have any problem making the upright.

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California

Wow, those bike stands are pricey! After using some stacked 2x4 cutoff a couple of times I put this together. If there was any real weight on it, I'd put straps or something between the legs. But it works good with deck screws holding it together.

edit- Looking awesome Holden!
Thanks!
I'm doing a complete redesign of the seat..back...it's just not stout enough for what I need...dropped $50 on steel and a spring seat (original just rides too rough)
and I've decided the new looks better anyhow...

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Balancing from above Killer?
Nah, I just rests on the chain stays. Can't drink around it, heh heh. If I had a couple of tire quick-releases, a clamp could be made easy enough. It'd need to be a couple inches wider to get at the nuts. :) Or just screw a flat bar into the wood over the stays, hmm, next time a bikes on there I'll try that. The pyramid shape is very stable.

/coffee-fueled-thought-process

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

re: pricey stands. Well, you probably only have to buy one for a lifetime, and they are made to fold up in cars and allow you to tune your complete bike on race day. If you mash your top tube (or some seat posts!) or mar up your bike it could cost you more than $80 easily.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Nah, I just rests on the chain stays. Can't drink around it, heh heh. If I had a couple of tire quick-releases, a clamp could be made easy enough. It'd need to be a couple inches wider to get at the nuts. :) Or just screw a flat bar into the wood over the stays, hmm, next time a bikes on there I'll try that. The pyramid shape is very stable.

/coffee-fueled-thought-process
LOL Killer. Know wut ya mean

I have been thinking of some thing like this; Redirect Notice with a Bicycle Lift

Would be, dunno, around 20 bucks or so and not only could it be spun around to work on the bike, could move the bike so the dang wife shuts the ******* up! snicker. Kidding. sort of.....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Edit! that lift is only rated to "Weight Capacity: 44 lb." ! have to change the line. (rope) for a MB's weight.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Today I did some work with the new bike stand. I slipped a couple of longer pieces of pipe over the legs of it to make it more stable while a bike was on it, and it worked pretty nicely. When I had the motor of one running and idling, I set the bike on it, let the clutch out and it purred along turning the wheel. While holding the bike steady I could even start the motor while supported with a good upward pull on the wheel.

So, first up was the back tire on the beast (again). On our ride the other day it went squishy on me, so I hit it with some air at the gas station and the "Bell" self-sealing tube did the job for the trip home. Today I pulled the wheel and went over the tire and tube. This time out there was a little sliver of steel, about 1/16" sticking outside the tire, and over 3/8" waving around inside the tire. At least this time there's a definate source of puncture. Anyway, pulled that out, cleaned up the area, put a patch over the hole (even if it is self-sealing). A quick inspection of the rest of the tube and back together it went, and I was buzzing up and down the lane in short order. Last seen, it was still sitting on pressure.

The other bike got a tweak to the carb, raised the needle a notch (back to middle) so it's starting a little more easily. I also moved the idler bracket back a bit and changed the tension on it. It's been running a little roughly, sometimes the chain seems to get a bit of slack on the top run. Looks like the rag joint and sprocket are a little off center of the axle, so I'm going to have to look into that next.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas

My base cylinder gasket blew so I took the cylinder apart, scrap off the burnt cheap paper like gasket and applied the red gasket maker I bought from Autozone. It seems to be running fine but I don't know how long it will hold. Has anyone ever tried this with good long term result?zpt

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago

Today I added a fender headlight, red led's around my duel mufflers and wired them to the white wire, and installed a Jaguar cdi. This bike is y newest, I have six mb'sdnut

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Heavy duty mount Happy! I was going to suggest using your old chain tensioner as a mount, but you've used it already :)

Vincent, if your surfaces mate well it should hold, but from what I read looking it up, you'll change your port timing by not having the gasket in there. For better or for worse will be up to you, I think lowering the jug adds to the low end? (at the cost of top-end)

Nice Pipe Hot Wheels! I used to have something similar, they sound great, eh? Hopefully those lights don't melt off on you ^^)

Dan! If you're going to replace the cable anyway, just get a couple of cheapy pulleys instead of $x for that kit thing.

CTrips, there's a trick for centering the sprocket, when its loose you put spacers around the hub-to-sprocket. Like gas hose, or whatever fits. 5+ pieces of spacer around the hub will keep the sprocket true while you clamp it down :)

My turn :D Had to take off my copper extension, wasn't running worth a crap. Got to find a better way to mount it to the shorty, or come up with something else. So the shorty's back on there now, and I tried to use the innards of a stock air box on it. Just the mesh and the plastic circle, but then it wouldn't go over half throttle. Took it off and it screams again oO that's a new one. Maybe the screws sticking through are holding the plunger down a hair. 2min with the hacksaw when I'm in the mood should tell me.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas

:D had to try the mesh/plastic first before I have to go buy some, and get 'that look' from the cashier... lols.
The mesh plastic should work, you might have to use washers on the bolt to keep it in place.Thank God my wife had some old panty hose, I would hate to buy some from the store lol. You could also use window screen which works great.